The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

I am currently refusing to read the end of The House of Mirth (another Edith Wharton). It's a set text, but I stupidly allowed myself to become emotionally engaged with the characters and now ... well something bad has happened and I don't want it to have done, so I figure if I just don't read the last chapter I can pretend it's all ok.

I'm gutted.

I am currently refusing to read the end of The House of Mirth (another Edith Wharton). It's a set text, but I stupidly allowed myself to become emotionally engaged with the characters and now ... well something bad has happened and I don't want it to have done, so I figure if I just don't read the last chapter I can pretend it's all ok.

I'm gutted.

It's great, isn't it? I've just read it too :)

You know you have to read that last chapter, don't you...

I'd recommend Tama Janowitz's 'A Certain Age' as a kind of companion piece to go with it, as well. It's contemporary re-working, equally bleak.

Ta Jessica23, I'll look that out. But if it's got another unhappy ending... then I'll be unhappy. I don't like unhappy endings, especially when I've fallen a little bit in love with the character who suffers one.

The heroine of the Janowitz novel is much less loveable than Lily. Honest.

I've just finished The World According to Garp, which requires some processing time and a re-read, I think - and Naomi Wolf's Promiscuities, notable for her anonymised account of sexual assault by Harold Bloom.

Recently finished 'The Book of Dave' by Will Self, which is thoroughly excellent. It is about a London cabbie who writes a book to his estranged son about how he sees the world and then buries it in Hamstead, and about humanity years later when they have discovered this book and based a new religion on it.

Just started 'Crime and Punishment' which is alright so far, i've only read the first three chapters though.