The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Currently reading - Stevenson's 'Treasure Island', 'The Tesseract' by Alex Garland and have just acquired a copy of 'Julius' by Daphne Du Maurier on the reccomendation of a rather charming woman in Help the Aged.

Still haven't finished 'We need to talk about Kevin' having foolishly left it behind after a majorly boozy weekend in Heptonstall. Shall reclaim it on Friday. Hurrah!

I'm sorry to say that I so did not enjoy that book and thought White Teeth was totally overrated.

No, I didn't the first time either - I remember we discussed it! Can't work out what the difference is this time - maybe the wind changed or something :(

I wish my opinions weren't so malleable sometimes. :hihi:

No, I didn't the first time either - I remember we discussed it! Can't work out what the difference is this time - maybe the wind changed or something :(

I wish my opinions weren't so malleable sometimes. :hihi:

Or maybe an 'r' in the month?:hihi::hihi:

I only finished it because it was for my Book Group, pitched up, feeling very noble, only to discover that I'd read the wrong book.:rolleyes:

I've just finished The World According to Garp, which requires some processing time and a re-read, I think - and Naomi Wolf's Promiscuities, notable for her anonymised account of sexual assault by Harold Bloom.

Garp! I love that book! I reckon it's his best by far. I might have to read that again soon. There's just so much going on in it, which is typical of his novels, but that one above all the others.

I'm just over halfway through Super-Cannes by JG Ballard and I think he's going to pull off his trick of making you think one thing is happening while another actually is. I hope so...

Garp! I love that book! I reckon it's his best by far. I might have to read that again soon. There's just so much going on in it, which is typical of his novels, but that one above all the others.

I'm just over halfway through Super-Cannes by JG Ballard and I think he's going to pull off his trick of making you think one thing is happening while another actually is. I hope so...

My favourite Irving is The Cider House Rules, it moved me more than any of his others. Garp is a great book though and of course I love his mother.:hihi: Not sure I;d go to such lengths to conceive a child though.:suspect: That bit where Garp's wife is in the car with her lover though, only Irving could come up with something like that.

I tried reading his latest but could not get beyond a thrid of the way through it, the child abuse was too much for me.:(