The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Garp! I love that book! I reckon it's his best by far. I might have to read that again soon. There's just so much going on in it, which is typical of his novels, but that one above all the others.

I'm just over halfway through Super-Cannes by JG Ballard and I think he's going to pull off his trick of making you think one thing is happening while another actually is. I hope so...

I read Garp a long time ago and was a little disappointed, maybe I should re-read it, because I read 'Owen Meany' since and that is totally ace!

This is my favorite thread on this whole forum :D

That bit where Garp's wife is in the car with her lover though, only Irving could come up with something like that.

That's just classic, that moment! :o and :P

I love that part where he gets his revenge on the dog, too. :hihi:

What were the girls with no tongues? The Ellen Jamesians?

That's just classic, that moment! :o and :P

I love that part where he gets his revenge on the dog, too. :hihi:

What were the girls with no tongues? The Ellen Jamesians?

Yep, the Ellen Jamesians. One of the most disturbing and yet blackly humourous parts of the whole thing. Which is chock full of disturbing yet blackly humourous things :hihi:

This was mentioned years ago on this thread, but I've just read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I had never heard of it and picked it up as random book to complete a 3 for 2 offer in Waterstones.

I don't think I've ever felt so attached to the characters in a book, as though I knew them. I found the style of the book completely compelling. Although the narrative (by death) didn't always quite mesh, I do think it helped move the story along and give an outsiders perspective of the truly tragic events of that era. It gave a completely personal viewpoint of being in Germany during the holocaust, which I think is quite unique.

Although the book, on the surface, is simply about the people of a small German community during the war, it has many layers. A completely believable piece of fiction, that shows how people can be amazing with the smallest of actions.

Even though a lot of the events that happened towards the end were revealed early in the book, it didn't make it any less moving when they did happen. The ending was still somewhat unexpected, and completely floored me. I found myself lying on my bed, just thinking, for ages.

This book does not leave you for some time. Even though I have a huge pile of books to be read, I feel that I can't start another until I get my mind off this one.

Has anyone else read it? I'd be interested in other opinions. I know quite a lot of people hate the book, so it would be interesting to hear an opposing view.

Has anyone else read it? I'd be interested in other opinions. I know quite a lot of people hate the book, so it would be interesting to hear an opposing view.

I agree entirely with you. I don't know of anyone who has hated the book, I saw a comment from someone who thought it was overrated and another from someone who didn't find the Death's narrative device very good.

I loved most of the characters and felt for them but without ever feeling I was being manipulated by the author in any way.

I agree entirely with you. I don't know of anyone who has hated the book, I saw a comment from someone who thought it was overrated and another from someone who didn't find the Death's narrative device very good.

I loved most of the characters and felt for them but without ever feeling I was being manipulated by the author in any way.

As I didn't know anything about the book before hand, I guess I read it without any of the hype.

You're right, I never felt manipulated either; It just read like a very honest story. By the end of the book, I really felt that I had known the characters for years, and had watched them develop over time. I don't think any book has ever done that for me before.

The narrative took a bit of getting used to, but I think it really helped in seeing the story as an observer. I read an interview with the author, and he struggled with the narration for some time apparently. Originally Death was supposed to be cold and callous. Then he tried the story from the first person, which didn't work. Eventually, he re-wrote it, with death as a tired soul, who struggled with his job and struggled with understanding humanity. I think the irony of Death being haunted by humanity, while humanity is haunted by death, really worked.

I still can't stop thinking about this book. I tried to start a new book last night, but couldn't get into it at all. I'm actually thinking of reading The Book Thief again, just to pick up on the bits I missed.

Nice to know that it had an impact on someone else too. It must have affected me, as I've never felt the need to discuss a book in this way before. I've given it to my house mate (who's a slow reader), just so we can discuss it when he's finished. I gave it to him last week. So far, he's read 20 pages. Looks like I'm in for a long wait. :(