The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

A friend of mine has been raving about Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer so I'll be giving that a go next.

I've not got my hands on this yet.

Until I do, I'm reading a book I borrowed from my grandparent's house called Funnily Enough, printed in '41 and written by H. L. Gee. It's a short book of humourous tales and according to the cover is "an infallible antidote to depression!" :hihi:

Part way (about 1/2 way) through "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodie Picoult. (the book that's been adapted into a film with Cameron Diaz)

I wanted to see if the hype was all it was built up to be. It's been an interesting read, though tearjerkers aren't my genre of choice, generally.

13 year-old Anna was conceived by IVF, as a donor-match for her older sister, Kate, who is dying of leukaemia.

She has been used to provide bone marrow and stem cells, in an attempt to save her sisters life.

When Kate requires a kidney from Anna, on top of everything else that has been taken from her, Anna decides "Enough is enough". She engages a lawyer to help her fight a court case which will enable her to become "Emancipated" from her parents.

The book before that was another in the Tudor series by Philippa Gregory, "The Virgin's Lover".

Lord Robert Dudley is the alleged lover of Elizabeth I. He is her court favourite.

He wants to marry the Queen, but he is married, already.

His wife, Amy Robsart dies in extremely mysterious circumstances, found, with her neck broken, at the foot of a flight of stairs.

Philippa Gregory weaves a good tale around the bones of the Tudor mystery of how Amy Robsart met her death, the gossip and scandal that surrounded the affair, and the taint of suspicion that fell on Dudley.

I have read the other Tudor novels, "The Constant Princess" (Katherine Of Aragon)

"The Other Boleyn Girl "(Anne Boleyn and Mary Boleyn, her sister)

The Boleyn Inheritance, (Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves and Katharine Howard)

"The Queen's Fool", (Mary Tudor)

"The Other Queen" (Mary QoS)

Edited by Plain Talker
I can't spell "constant"