Why I won't be going out in Sheffield much this year

discodown

My assertion not to go out in sheffield?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. My assertion not to go out in sheffield?

• Am I right?
    • Am I wrong?
    • Am I a moaning sod?
    • Am I pretentious and need a slap?

Personally I don't see it as a bad thing that Sasha hasn't been booked in Sheffield yet.... :)

I.ve herad on the grapevine hes getting booked for a top venue in Sheffield sometime in 2008:)

As far as the nights in Sheffield, theres a night called Electrosexual @ Nylon, dont be deceased by the name though discodown as i noticed you are sick of all this "electro house" cause they have got wicked artists such as Dave Robertson, prok & fitch & Stupid fresh booked, in fact stupid fresh are there on January 12th, i think its a truly great underground night mate, that plays fantastic electronic music accross all the borders, so if your availible one month pop down and check it out mate, better than most of the other nights around bro.

Personally I don't see it as a bad thing that Sasha hasn't been booked in Sheffield yet.... :)

The way some people go on about Republic/Gatecrasher 1, you'd think they were talking about Mecca. Big club yes, and I used to enjoy going, but I think it's fair to say it wasn't exactly known for a broad range of genres... I can't fault them for what they do; it works for them and pulls a crowd; but can you imagine Gatecrasher organising something as varied as Warehouse Project?

*there are venues of a similar size to that used by Warehouse Project, where something along those lines could work really well.......anyone got a few quid to spare?

Some people are implying that the smoking ban has decimated clubbing. I don't think that's the case at all, but then I haven't been going to the events some of you are frequenting. It certainly hasn't been a problem at anything we've put on, or any of the big nights I've been to.

There are good nights out there if you want to find them. And if there really is nobody else putting on the acts you want to see with the kind of atmosphere you want, then get in touch with a few venues and put some proposals forward.

Well said mate.

I totally agree with you sheffield has nothing going for it i used to love going out in sheffield hitting all the clubs but they all seem to be closing down or dead, I am an upcoming Dj, only just turned 18 and have been lucky enough to play a one off gig in plug and also had a residency at fuel for over a year, it seems theres no where left to apply now in sheffield which is a shame to waste the talent i hold, not being a poptastic DJ but being an upfront funky house electro DJ, Sheffield is Dyin a terrible death i hope theres some new clubs soon :help::help::help:

I.ve herad on the grapevine hes getting booked for a top venue in Sheffield sometime in 2008:)

As far as the nights in Sheffield, theres a night called Electrosexual @ Nylon, dont be deceased by the name though discodown as i noticed you are sick of all this "electro house" cause they have got wicked artists such as Dave Robertson, prok & fitch & Stupid fresh booked, in fact stupid fresh are there on January 12th, i think its a truly great underground night mate, that plays fantastic electronic music accross all the borders, so if your availible one month pop down and check it out mate, better than most of the other nights around bro.

I have seen the promo you've been doing and I have to admit i'm intrigued, i'll try to check it out

Discodown you are right. Sheffield has been on the slow decline now for the past 5 years.

Fair enough on the whole the real club scene national has declined over the past decade but compare Sheffield to Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle and we carry the burden of shame. Even Doncaster & Chesterfield has better nightlife on a sunday night, thats how bad Sheffield has got. There are a lot of factors to this.

As much as Plug books massive name djs and offers good nights, as a product I am still puzzled on what is on each week and for me lacks consistency. My opinion thats all folks.Without name djs with all due respect to the residents but I feel Plug would fall flat.

I play in Leeds every week and every week I see many different Sheffield people saying how bad Sheffield is. As a dj I play right across the board and I have seen the music scene go back and forth but never has Sheffield become so stale no matter what music you are into. This is not no dig at Sheffield because I am passionate about good music and passionate about Sheffield but it saddens me when I can play an underground reggae set in Bridlington and then feel stifled to play Sean Paul in Sheffield because the crowd are not open minded enough. I even struggled to play Samim a month ago.

New Years Eve, alot of my mates headed straight to Manchester, simply because they knew they would have a good night, with the right music and atmosphere.

As much as Nylon is doing a decent job getting the punters in, I hate the music in there. It is just noise and fruityloops for me and lacks and creativity. I basically hate Electro house and would much rather techno or even jackin house. My main love is deep house and nu soul (real r&b), but i am not ignorant to other formats of music. One thing is definately needed a PROPER DANCE RADIO STATION RUN BY SHEFFIELD DJS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS please dont respond with Sheffield Live. Thats pathetic

Last time Sasha played Sheffield was years back when he and Digweed brought the nothern exposure night to the then republic. It was billed as a gatecrasher night but took place on a Friday.

As for Sheffield being dire, personally, I think the average Sheffield person will only follow the 'whats cool now' trend, i.e. electro house.

Leeds, Manc, London etc seem to have a more open minded view, hence you get massive and brilliant house names such as Doc Martin, Mark Farina, Miguel Migs, Kerri Chandler etc there all the time. Now, I know those names to a lot will be a 'who'..........that is exactly my point. People just dont get enough exposure.

Fez is back in full swing!! Craig Loftis a few fridays back was awesome!

Agreed! He restored my faith in Sheffield clubbing! Absolutely awesome night... not heard music like that for 3 or 4 years and the crowd was lovely :D

I think things are looking up for sheffield clubbing after a bit of a lull... I can't wait to try Penelopes and I hope Act Like Ya Know happens again very soon!

Last time Sasha played Sheffield was years back when he and Digweed brought the nothern exposure night to the then republic. It was billed as a gatecrasher night but took place on a Friday.

As for Sheffield being dire, personally, I think the average Sheffield person will only follow the 'whats cool now' trend, i.e. electro house.

Leeds, Manc, London etc seem to have a more open minded view, hence you get massive and brilliant house names such as Doc Martin, Mark Farina, Miguel Migs, Kerri Chandler etc there all the time. Now, I know those names to a lot will be a 'who'..........that is exactly my point. People just dont get enough exposure.

Spot on, I love those djs too. But Sheffield people have not got any exposure to these djs yet. There is no media to hear it.

Archived