Why I won't be going out in Sheffield much this year

discodown

My assertion not to go out in sheffield?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. My assertion not to go out in sheffield?

• Am I right?
    • Am I wrong?
    • Am I a moaning sod?
    • Am I pretentious and need a slap?

Spot on, I love those djs too. But Sheffield people have not got any exposure to these djs yet. There is no media to hear it.
Then Act Like Ya Know is the place for you! My prediction is that this year this night will be the night for people who genuinely love and respect the music. It'll be where the crowd is there because they want to be and not because they think it'll be cool to be there

Then Act Like Ya Know is the place for you! My prediction is that this year this night will be the night for people who genuinely love and respect the music. It'll be where the crowd is there because they want to be and not because they think it'll be cool to be there

Indeed, and, ACT LIKE YA KNOW will be back very soon, February with possibly the Inland Knights ? Now were are talking.

Dont also forget about Act Like Ya know's cousin night, PHUTURE BOOGIE, set to return soon for more deep house business.

Furthermore, if you like this kind of thing, may I suggest you try out nights such as Keep In Time, Diasha and Lights Down Low.

The nights are out there, you just have to look further than the big corporate brands.

Further more, what really does annoy me is when you get people crying about the lack of decent nights that cater for scenes that are not represented enough. YET, when people actually put them on, not enough of these people show up to show support. So, in a lot of ways, the people who complain are to blame for the lack of what they actually want.

It's pretty easy really, show support to what you want/like and it will continue.

:)

Discodown you are right. Sheffield has been on the slow decline now for the past 5 years.

Fair enough on the whole the real club scene national has declined over the past decade but compare Sheffield to Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle and we carry the burden of shame. Even Doncaster & Chesterfield has better nightlife on a sunday night, thats how bad Sheffield has got. There are a lot of factors to this.

As much as Plug books massive name djs and offers good nights, as a product I am still puzzled on what is on each week and for me lacks consistency. My opinion thats all folks.Without name djs with all due respect to the residents but I feel Plug would fall flat.

I play in Leeds every week and every week I see many different Sheffield people saying how bad Sheffield is. As a dj I play right across the board and I have seen the music scene go back and forth but never has Sheffield become so stale no matter what music you are into. This is not no dig at Sheffield because I am passionate about good music and passionate about Sheffield but it saddens me when I can play an underground reggae set in Bridlington and then feel stifled to play Sean Paul in Sheffield because the crowd are not open minded enough. I even struggled to play Samim a month ago.

New Years Eve, alot of my mates headed straight to Manchester, simply because they knew they would have a good night, with the right music and atmosphere.

As much as Nylon is doing a decent job getting the punters in, I hate the music in there. It is just noise and fruityloops for me and lacks and creativity. I basically hate Electro house and would much rather techno or even jackin house. My main love is deep house and nu soul (real r&b), but i am not ignorant to other formats of music. One thing is definately needed a PROPER DANCE RADIO STATION RUN BY SHEFFIELD DJS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS please dont respond with Sheffield Live. Thats pathetic

Deep House and Nu Soul all the way.

Shame the electric chair does not move its ass from Manc to Sheff.........then again, the dj's would probably get hassle for not playing 'banging sexy vocal electro house'

Massive lol.

Indeed, and, ACT LIKE YA KNOW will be back very soon, February with possibly the Inland Knights ? Now were are talking.

Dont also forget about Act Like Ya know's cousin night, PHUTURE BOOGIE, set to return soon for more deep house business.

Furthermore, if you like this kind of thing, may I suggest you try out nights such as Keep In Time, Diasha and Lights Down Low.

The nights are out there, you just have to look further than the big corporate brands.

Thats totally cool bro. theres loads a boiling, reach peeps. Liam whens the Lounge in effect again?

The one thing I've always remained critical about Sheffield for is the summer......

I know many students go home but this is a city of half a million people; the students account for just over 50,000; and you can't say to me that every single student goes out in term time only. Why does everyone else hide away when the students leave?

Yes there are half a million people aged 0 - 100 in Sheffield. I don't know the exact figures but let's say 100,000 of them are in the 18-30 demographic that mainly frequent bars and clubs. If 50,000 of them are students that surely means half of the going out population of Sheffield disappears in the holidays doesn't it?

Spot on, I love those djs too. But Sheffield people have not got any exposure to these djs yet. There is no media to hear it.

They used to, Scuba way back had the likes of Doc Martin, Migs etc on. I have seen some amazing acts/dj's there, tortured soul, schmoove, LARRY HEARD, Dj Ra-Soul etc etc. But, again, sometimes the club would be half full cos the Sheffield people were more bothered about dressing up like a 3 year old wanna be sid vicious and go listen to Judge Jules (then slag him off a few months later cos it was suddenly not so cool to like trance).......because it was popular scene at the time (deep breath).

Shame, really. The city got chewed up by the big corporate brands and lost it's soul somewhat.

Thank God things seem to be happening again. Maybe the 'sad' departure of a certain superbrand will actually allow the smaller fish to provide more diversity ? I hope so.

Dont forget about Phuture Boogie, too, Mo fo !:rant:;)

They are both going to be reeeeet good,

Tha knows.

Further more, what really does annoy me is when you get people crying about the lack of decent nights that cater for scenes that are not represented enough. YET, when people actually put them on, not enough of these people show up to show support. So, in a lot of ways, the people who complain are to blame for the lack of what they actually want.

It's pretty easy really, show support to what you want/like and it will continue.

:)

Its not in a lot of ways, its in every way.

Archived