Where is the live music?

T-fix

Hello, me and a friend will be spending a few weeks in England this summer and want to find out what is behind this hype about the Sheffield music scene :D

Could anybody give us a hint, please, as to what are the best places for live music - preferably indie, alternative, rock...

Best wishes for 2008 from Germany

T-fix

A good place to start would be to pick up a copy of Sandman listings magazine

http://www.sandmanmagazine.co.uk/

or "The Sheffield Telegraph" (every Friday) has a good listings section.

The Boardwalk is great venue but tend more towards cover bands and "bl**dy h*ll I thought they'd split up years ago" type bands. The Leadmill used to be *the* live venue in Sheffield - but is more geared up towards its club nights these days - but is still a good place to see a band and has recently been given a good run for its money by Plug which does a lot of medium sized gigs. Shef Uni has 3 venues of varying sizes and so has loads of gigs on and the new 2000+ Carling Academy is due to open in spring. For up & coming indie bands - the Grapes is well worth checking out and for rock/metal/punk - Corporation is the main venue.

Enjoy your stay...

When you get here, pick up a copy of exposed.

If you want to see Sheffield bands, West street live is good (and usually free) The Howard also has them on, occasionally the Frog and Parrot, the Cremone, Grapes, and the Boardwalk are making more of an effort as well. DQ also are promoting a few up and coming sheffield bands. There is usually something on most nights of the week. If you go on myspace and link to some of these venues pages, you'll be able to see what bands they promote.

As far as the Arctic Monkeys go, I hear Manchester is good for them... ;)

Archived