Walkley Hall Query

Does anyone know if there was ever a Walkley Hall or was it an area of the Crookes district.

My ancestor on the 1851 Census for Crookes has his place of residence as "Walkley Hall". The Census page before as "Bole Hill" & the Census page after as "Howard Hill".

My ancestor was a Farmer from Rivelin on the 1841 Census.

There are three images of Walkley Hall at Picture Sheffield.

There is also a picture in Crookes Revisited which I think is still in print - at least I saw a couple of copies in Sheffield Scene a couple of weeks ago. The Hall used to belong to the Rawson family (who owned the Walkley tannery) but was later divided into tenements. It was demolished in 1926. It stood at the corner of Bole Hill Road and Heavygate Road, opposite Camm Street.

The Hall is marked on this map from the 1890's.

[link updated 9 Jul 2012]

Hugh

Thanks Hugh,

I have had a look at the prints on Picture Sheffield.

On the 1851 Census pages it looks like there were quite a number of families living there.

My ancestor was a Farmer & it states that at Walkley Hall he was farming 15 acres of land.

He later went on to farm at Grange Farm on Carter Knowle Road.

Michael

They knocked Walkley Hall down to build the council estate at Heavygate. My Brother in law used to live in one of the houses where the hall stood. He found quite a few interesting things in the ground when he was gardening.

Looking at the pictures of the old hall, it was a sacrilege knocking it down, it was a really lovely building.

Yes that is a useful map :). It must be early 1890's or maybe even 1880's, because there is no sign of the new town hall. There are other interesting maps on that site. (and a message forum where you can ask genealogical questions relating to Sheffield).

Hugh

Archived