V+ virgin media

hi mate, ive had the v+ virgin box now for a couple of months now.

pros= it records 2 programmes at once while you can watch another (sky + only lets you record one)

it has catch up tv which means it records the best selection of the week for you to watch at your leisure

loads of films you can buy from the comfort of your home without having to go to the video shop

cons= doesnt look as nice as the sky+ box

doesnt have teletext option

in my opinion it ****** all over the sky + box but thats just me!

i have had a V+ box since telewest introduced them as the "TVDrive" aout 18 mos/ 2 yrs ago.

as spottydog says, advantages are that you can record 2 proggrams at once ( 3, if you count the "delay" facility, which records the channel you are watching through the box)

For me, and this is just my own personal experience, I have had nothing but trouble with mine. I needed four replacements between March and November, and it's still not great. Even when I reset the darn thing, I can't get the red button bbc-i facility etc, it does nothing but pixellate, and the sound is hit-and-miss ( keeps cutting in and out)

Personally speaking, I've found it to be absolute rubbish.

Mine's fantastic Soad - best invention since sat nav! :)

Sounds like you're having some bad luck there PT :(

got to say, I really don't sem to have much luck when it comes to mechanical/ electrical stuff (cookers, watches, computers, mobile phones, my old electric wheelchair, TV drive boxes...)

when I was 10, my dad bought me a luminous watch for Xmas. it went wonky, had to go back as soon as the jewellers opened in the new year.

I currently have a mobile phone contract, and I'm on my 5th replacement phone in just a year, and my 6th lot of repairs.

i have had a V+ box since telewest introduced them as the "TVDrive" aout 18 mos/ 2 yrs ago.

as spottydog says, advantages are that you can record 2 proggrams at once ( 3, if you count the "delay" facility, which records the channel you are watching through the box)

For me, and this is just my own personal experience, I have had nothing but trouble with mine. I needed four replacements between March and November, and it's still not great. Even when I reset the darn thing, I can't get the red button bbc-i facility etc, it does nothing but pixellate, and the sound is hit-and-miss ( keeps cutting in and out)

I have the occasional problem with mine re-setting itself or freezing so I have to re-set it, and sometimes the sound is slightly out of synch.

But I wouldn't be without it - I've got it set to record all the series I want to watch so I never forget them, plus the delay is great when my viewing gets interrupted.

We've had ours for a while now, and it's great. So easy to record stuff - as others have said: two programmes while you watch a third (or record to a separate recorder!) - and it integrates with their catchup and VOD channels too.

The only down side for me is the inflexibility in recording times. If you record a programme it will record it only according to the times it gets from the EPG. If the programme runs over - tough. There does not seem to be an option to just hit 'record everything until I tell you to stop' either, so if you want to record a sequence of programmes, like an evening's worth of stuff on one channel say, you have to set each one individually.

You can set padding on the recordings, to allow for programme over run, but it gets dropped if theres a clash.

Recording a series of programmes is as easy as recording an individual episode.

Can't comment on if it's better than Sky+, other than to say that you have to buy your Sky box while this one is simply rented, so if it goes faulty you just get them to swap it and theres no cost.

i love it and glad i took the plunge for the extra money! :) Can record 2 programmes at once, have full 7 day TV listings

THe only problem is i dont have enough time to watch everything ive recorded!!

x

Ive had the same problem and reported this yesterday, it's known fault app and are in the process of fixing it!?

It's mainly on Living Tv (Ghost Whisperer) for me but does so it on other recorded programmes, its as through someone pressing the mute button, very annoying!

Hi does anyone have V+ with virgin media,is it any good ,how does it compair with sky+

Any feed back much appreciated

I absolutely couldnt imagine not having it, would rather have no TV at all than go back to Sky +, V+ is dogs wotsits compared to Sky. Sometimes needs a reboot and have had to reformat hard drive once but its a complex machine and similar to PC in respect that it will need simple maintenance like this on occasion and it only takes 5 mins.

Archived