V+ virgin media

I've got sky+ and had no problems with it at all, can't compare to V+ because i've never had it.

With sky+ I think you get more channels (not entirely sure about that tho) and you can record 2 programmes at once (as long as you're watching one of them).

You can pause/rewind live tv - great if phone rings or you need to make a cuppa etc.

Quite a few offers on to get a sky+ box for free, if a friend who already has sky recommends you. It's then guaranteed for 12 months if any problems (although if you do get problems after 12 months, they usually come out and fix it for free if you refuse to pay the repair cost and threaten to cancel...).

• 2 years later...

Can anyone advise me

Had a virgin + box for about 10 months now but dont seem to be able to get hd pics

have been told I need a cable but called in virgin shop on fargate and a chocolate fireguard would have given me more help.

Can anyone advise what to do and if needs be were to make the purchase etc.

Argos has been mentioned

You need an HDMi cable which carrys the HD signal. They're not cheap but essential if you want to watch HD.

I've had a V+ box for some time now. Over the last couple of years I've also had to have replacements as things have gone wrong with them - the latest is that it's not the boxes but the cards that have the faults. Also one engineer told me that the calibration at the box in the street is sometimes altered by another engineer so a customer who complains can get a better signal, often at the expense of their neighbours. You just have to keep ringing, complaining and arguing for a free month's rental.

The bonus thing with the V+ box is that you don't own it, so when things like this do go wrong, they come out and fix it free of charge. If your Sky box goes wrong, you have to pay.

I have never had Sky, so can't compare them, but I just love my V+ service. As others have said, you can watch one programme whilst recording 2 others. You can also record whole series, just at the touch of a button. You can catch up on programmes you missed, if you forget to record them. You can pause live tv.

It has 'gone wrong' a couple of times, since we had it installed when they first came out, but the problems only lasted a couple of minutes.

One problem we do have with it now, is that there are some programmes which were attempting to record when the service failed, and they are still listed as recorded, but won't delete. They look like they have deleted, but then re-appear the following day. They don't take any recording space up however, we still have 79 hours!

There does not seem to be an option to just hit 'record everything until I tell you to stop' either, so if you want to record a sequence of programmes, like an evening's worth of stuff on one channel say, you have to set each one individually.

You can get over this by using the manual recording option in record new programmes. This allows you to set start and end times

ive had both systems, all the problems people have had with thier V+ system i've had the with my sky sytems I.E freezing picture, losing picture, losing channels, when i was with sky. I'd had my last sky+ box for 2 years and when something went wrong with it the engineer came and said its done really well as the average lifetime of a sky box is just under a year.

I've had the V+ box for over a year and half now I think its the dogs danglies as you get a lot more HD channels free, with sky you have to pay extra for them, sometimes the V+ does lagg when changing channels but wait a minute and its fine, plus and this is a big plus for me...with the current weather i used to have to climb out on the roof to clean the snow off my sky dish about every 3 hours where as with V+ the cables all underground so for the second time in two years ive been able to watch tv without the dreaded white flecks getting worse and worse as the snow builds up.

Archived