Sheffield flood history

kitterik

A intersting story following the 1864 flood - the then vicar of Stannington rescued a sapling from the debris that was washed down Loxley valley and planted it in the garden of the vicarage. Th old house is still there and so is the huge tree that grew from the sapling - although the house is now a private dwelling.

According to my Mother in June/July 1954 Firthpark suffered severe flooding in low lying areas due to a very bad thunderstorm. She has a couple of photos of this event if i can find them i will post them on the web.

all the best,

lostsoul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, newbie here. I'm interested in the flooding that occured last summer in Sheffield and was looking for some information on it when I came across your forum. It has so far proved quite informative! Would it be a fair comment to say that last summers event was the worst of it's kind in the last century?

Thanks, Jay

The great flood of the 1800's, can anybody help me please?

There is plenty of info on-line about the 1864 flood, but it may be outside the context of your research.

The 1834 flood and others mentioned by Hugh W you should be able to find out about in the Central Library Local Studies unit. They have most of the local newspapers etc. on microfiche going back to the late 18th. century.

Best to phone and book a reader if you intend to do this.

Archived