Wetherspoons will serve you only two alcoholic drinks if you are with children

If they really enforce this, I'm considering setting up a business selling disguises from a barrow outside every branch of W'Spoons. Imagine if every Wayne & Waynetta (and their kids Jordan & Jade) were willing to pay £5 for false beards and glasses so they could go back into the pub every time they wanted another couple of drinks without the bar staff recognising them? You'd make a fortune!

How do you mean? Are you saying that JDW are trying to change the drinking culture in this country?

What I am saying is that a variety of factors in our culture, such as parents allowing their children to run riot, or spending all their time screaming and swearing at them, rather than having the skills to engage them in a polite and quiet manner as Spanish and Italian families seem to do, means that JDW, and others perhaps, may take a commercial view that the ambience of their pubs is better served by not seeking to encourage parents to remain for long in the establishment with their children.

JDW do have policies aimed at creating specific atmospheres, hence their (until recent) policy of having no music or tv in their pubs.

It may also be the litigation issue (as I also mentioned above), which again is prominent in current British culture.

I'd rather the chain had the balls to go child free policy then pretend to be family friendly!!

I don't expect/want everywhere to be open to kids but to take money off parents and then limit their family experience/outing... please!

A year ago I walked out of this chain when I realised what their policy was when it came to their 'family dining area' and chose to spend my money elsewhere that was welcoming to ALL who were out to have a pleasent time and cause no problems.

My 4 and half yr old was raised partly in Asia and no one blinked an eye when it came to families eating/drinking out in bars, day or night there.

W.spoons talk cr@p thinking kids need play areas to visit a pub!

My son is regularly complimented for his behaviour by complete strangers in pubs. His parents do not get sloshed in front of him or let him run riot, he does not complain of boredom, he is very social and open to people from ALL walks of life. He does not pester people, he interacts happily with anyone who takes a moment to simply chat with him/us and therefore is not scared by people some grown adults may shun.. e.g the altzheimers lady, downs syndrome girl and bloke in a wheelchair within our local.

We don't take him into any old pub.. I am not interested in loud mouthed crude customers even when drinking with my husband, but there are families who can't get a sitter easily, working hrs within a family do vary and sometimes going out to the pub for a chat and drinks is a nice option! Many parents ARE aware of their children and other customers and have common sense, so can make a visit to the pub perfectly successful without having bored kids or irritated customers (really!)

It's a shame really the UK can't grow up in attitudes, but then we do appear to forget as a nation how to behave at times. :roll:

Unfortunately, Notfromhere, the behaviour of some parents who behave very differently from you and your family puts certain pubs off encouraging any parents with children. A bit like the behaviour of a minority of football fans leads to various pubs and clubs banning anyone wearing football shirts/scarves etc.

Hmmm ... Obviously if I am in a pub I am usually dining out and if there were only myself there with my child then I wouldn't drink at all (because I would be driving) ... however, if my OH were with me and one of us wanted to have a drink I would be a tad ****** off if I were refused a third glass of wine.

I don't know what the answer is ... they'll bring a rule in soon that children aren't allowed to buy more than one packet of sweets for fear of obesity.