Wetherspoons will serve you only two alcoholic drinks if you are with children

What I am saying is that a variety of factors in our culture, such as parents allowing their children to run riot, or spending all their time screaming and swearing at them, rather than having the skills to engage them in a polite and quiet manner as Spanish and Italian families seem to do, means that JDW, and others perhaps, may take a commercial view that the ambience of their pubs is better served by not seeking to encourage parents to remain for long in the establishment with their children.

JDW do have policies aimed at creating specific atmospheres, hence their (until recent) policy of having no music or tv in their pubs.

It may also be the litigation issue (as I also mentioned above), which again is prominent in current British culture.

Thanks for clearing that up. You are quite right and I agree

this may be a tactful move by Wetherspoons of discouraging children in their pubs, perhaps they have taken customers' opinions into consideration

Nowt to do with customers and all to do with profit. Wetherspoons are following the McDonalds approach which is: get 'em in, get 'em fed, get 'em out, get more of 'em in....

They just want a faster turnaround time. A family watching its pennies isn't going to make them more money if mum and dad linger for another half an hour over their coffee. They could get another family in during that time and make more £££££s from rushing them through some Turkey Twizzlers. Either that or get in a nice party of office workers on a leaving do who will sup 15 profitable pints and order vast amounts of chips as 'blotting paper' in the time it took to feed mum, dad and the two nippers.

chip/shoulder comes to mind .. :hihi:

would you have agreed wth his point if he had re-phrased it as-

children running allover the pub, whilst their parents just sat chatting (I think he was implying children being a nuisance and their parents couldn't care less)

I congratulate Wetherspoons for this policy. For several reasons.

Some of my close friends spent lots of their childhood waiting outside a pub with a coke and a packet of crisps, for their neglectful parents inside. Taking children for a meal in a pub is a perfectly healthy activity, but hanging around in an adult pub, while the adults continue to drink to levels above the blood alcohol limit is innapropriate and irresponsible in my view, especially if the adults have got to safely get the children home afterwards.

All this is not taking into account how badly controlled children can act up, or who looks after the children if an adult collapses or something.

I congratulate Wetherspoons for this policy. For several reasons.

Some of my close friends spent lots of their childhood waiting outside a pub with a coke and a packet of crisps, for their neglectful parents inside. Taking children for a meal in a pub is a perfectly healthy activity, but hanging around in an adult pub, while the adults continue to drink to levels above the blood alcohol limit is innapropriate and irresponsible in my view, especially if the adults have got to safely get the children home afterwards.

All this is not taking into account how badly controlled children can act up, or who looks after the children if an adult collapses or something.

agreed.............