Walnut club Hathersage

boosh

I went last year.

The food was excellent. We were a large group and there wasn't a complaint to be had about the starters, mains and puds. The food was quite expensive, but the flavours were exquisite. I would like to go back soon. They also do an early evening deal, which has to be worth an spring evening drive over...

They ran out of the wine and whilst I tasted it, I didn't get to have a glass, whilst my friends guzzled away my choice. I was gutted to say the least; not an apology from the server and it took 40 minutes for them to deliver the next bootle of wine. The service wasn't the best and this was one let down. Too few staff for such a busy restaurant. Hence the problem with the wine. They didn't take our coats on arrival either, which was rather odd for a cold winter evening. The restaurant was full, so it wasn't as if they weren't expecting a crowd.

I also think it is a major concern that you travel all of the way out there and they dont' have a waiting area to have pre-meal drinks. I guess this might prevent them getting there star. We arrived quite early, expecting a bar area. We were advised to try a pub down the road...we couldn't sit at the bar and pre-dinner drinks wasn't something they did. Having arrived by taxi 40 minutes early we were a bit gutted.

The pub down the road was a bit lifeless with a poor choice of drinks; but it was rather quaint. The problem was, by time you have walked to pub (in high heels on cobbles), ordered drinks and sat down, it is almost time to get back.

They need to consider staffing and staff training, pre drinks area and the usefulness of the website. I tried to register as a member and two/three weeks later there was no response.

Other than that, if you don't mind spending a bit on taxi/train food and wine I would pay it a visit. I think Naz was in when we were there; he was whisked around the corner very quickly.

I have only been once but had a lovely time. Food was good and so was the wine, there was some live music which was also really good and we stopped for a drink on the way at the local pub. You can get the train from sheffield, last one back was 10:30pm I think. I would go back given the chance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been there about a year ago. I may have been unlucky but I was quite disappointed. From their marketing I was expecting a "Michelin Star-aspiring" restaurant.

Although the ingredient were of good quality, they weren't cooked very finely. My dish was too salty and overall the flavours were nicer on the menu.

There was a live jazz duo. I can't remember a particular song but me and my girldfriend thought it was tacky and a bit loud. Definitely not in line with the image they try to project.

The furniture was a bit basic too. looking nice but not comfortable. I think they resume the general opinion I have got of the place; pretentious and forgeting the attention to details.

This place needs to come back down to hearth and spend time and money on what counts. That is if they actually really are aiming at a michelin star. I suspect they just like to use spin and PR to make people feel special. Unfortunately it is not wealthy or even "influential" people who give these stars. They do bring the cash in though...

oh prices? Don't think £40-50 per head is a bargain for a "M star aspiring" place. this place is no good value. I am still hoping for reliable, independent positive review... Then I may try again.

I went last year.

The food was excellent. We were a large group and there wasn't a complaint to be had about the starters, mains and puds. The food was quite expensive, but the flavours were exquisite. I would like to go back soon. They also do an early evening deal, which has to be worth an spring evening drive over...

They ran out of the wine and whilst I tasted it, I didn't get to have a glass, whilst my friends guzzled away my choice. I was gutted to say the least; not an apology from the server and it took 40 minutes for them to deliver the next bootle of wine. The service wasn't the best and this was one let down. Too few staff for such a busy restaurant. Hence the problem with the wine. They didn't take our coats on arrival either, which was rather odd for a cold winter evening. The restaurant was full, so it wasn't as if they weren't expecting a crowd.

I also think it is a major concern that you travel all of the way out there and they dont' have a waiting area to have pre-meal drinks. I guess this might prevent them getting there star. We arrived quite early, expecting a bar area. We were advised to try a pub down the road...we couldn't sit at the bar and pre-dinner drinks wasn't something they did. Having arrived by taxi 40 minutes early we were a bit gutted.

The pub down the road was a bit lifeless with a poor choice of drinks; but it was rather quaint. The problem was, by time you have walked to pub (in high heels on cobbles), ordered drinks and sat down, it is almost time to get back.

They need to consider staffing and staff training, pre drinks area and the usefulness of the website. I tried to register as a member and two/three weeks later there was no response.

Other than that, if you don't mind spending a bit on taxi/train food and wine I would pay it a visit. I think Naz was in when we were there; he was whisked around the corner very quickly.

So, all these people who cite they go the Walnut Club to get away from 'chavs' and 'yobs', have no problem with them letting Sheffield's most infamous criminal, Naz in. :loopy:

Archived