Tell us what you want! Independently run coffee shops?

coffeequiz

I agree (there are tearooms about I think), just don't call it a tearoom. It would instantly become somewhere for old folk, not the young people it's being aimed at.

And milkshakes & smoothies would be good too. :D

old folks need somewhere to go too, why would that put young people off? im 26, a few old people dont put me off, but then i do feel old in some places in town.

might not want to call it a tea room, if you think it'll put people off, i dont think it would. i dont think there is a tea room, or anywhere nice with a really good cup of tea, in the centre of sheffield. if im wrong, please enlighten me.

this is england, not italy, or america, i think a lot of the coffee shop owners forget that. there are lots of tea drinkers here & they arent really catered for.

we need somewhere with good tea, cakes, milkshakes, juices, smoothies & other soft drinks, as well as coffee. opening late would be good too.

i might have to just start my own now.

old folks need somewhere to go too, why would that put young people off? im 26, a few old people dont put me off, but then i do feel old in some places in town.

might not want to call it a tea room, if you think it'll put people off, i dont think it would. i dont think there is a tea room, or anywhere nice with a really good cup of tea, in the centre of sheffield. if im wrong, please enlighten me.

this is england, not italy, or america, i think a lot of the coffee shop owners forget that. there are lots of tea drinkers here & they arent really catered for.

we need somewhere with good tea, cakes, milkshakes, juices, smoothies & other soft drinks, as well as coffee. opening late would be good too.

i might have to just start my own now.

I didn't mean the old folks would be off-putting, I meant naming it a tearoom. I doubt many people would see it a cool and trendy if it was called a tearoom (although maybe you could change that image of tearooms ;)).

Anyway, there's Pollards tea room, and isn't Lynnes (if that's how you spell it) Pantry a tea room too? Yeah, there might not be as many as coffee shops, but they are there.

But yeah, I agree, somewhere that does things that aren't just coffee. I can't stand the stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Friom a business point of view you need to remember that you need to make money.

Whilst you want people to enjoy their time int he coffee shop, and to feel relaxed enough to spend as much time as they want there, you need to consider ways you could make money while they linger over their one cup of coffee.

If people are relaxed they will buy one drink and take up a seat for quite some time. The atmosphere is good for getting people to visit and to return, you may find that you have to charge a prohibitively high price for the drinks.

A good takeaway system would help this, as would selling a variety of different food types. However I still feel this is somethign that needs consdieration.

Best of luck!

The most important things for me are

Good coffee, be able to buy a cafitierre. Different selections, Columbian, Java, French, Italian, which Utopia do.

Comfortable seating. Many cafes and tea rooms have uncomfortable seating, either hard metal seats like coffee revolution or hard wooden seats like in many tea rooms. Utopia has hard uncomfortbale plastic seats which look bright and stylish but they are rubbish for sitting on very long. However, I don't think deep sofas are a great idea either because you fall back into them and can't reach your coffee without hauling yourself out of the depths. Try and have a good selection of different seats and try and make them comfortable!

Music is always too loud, its not so bad for having a conversation but it's impossible to read. If you don't like the music and its very quiet you can deal with it. Possibly have one room or space where its medium loud and one where it's not on at all or quiet. Usually I move around in a futile attempt to avoid speakers

Archived