Crookes Congregational F.C

locket

I have found a picture of Crookes Congregational F.C think its dated around 1937ish. Its a tobacco photocard for Ardath Tobacco Ltd & number 67. It shows the players they are

G. Burlow R Dickins (sec) J Taylor C Cowen (capt) E Green R Callender R Bradley J Hemmingham H Straw (trainer)

A Roberts N Oxley C Taylor G Simpson C Birkhead.

C Birkhead is my partners grandfather.

Anyone know anything about the football club??

I will post a picture when I can.

I have found a picture of Crookes Congregational F.C think its dated around 1937ish. Its a tobacco photocard for Ardath Tobacco Ltd & number 67. It shows the players they are

G. Burlow R Dickins (sec) J Taylor C Cowen (capt) E Green R Callender R Bradley J Hemmingham H Straw (trainer)

A Roberts N Oxley C Taylor G Simpson C Birkhead.

C Birkhead is my partners grandfather.

Anyone know anything about the football club??

I will post a picture when I can.

No, but I notice the picture has the old spelling of Crookes, "Crooks" on the team board. There used to be a Bible Class League in Sheffield, still maybe?, and I guessed they played in that league? Lopham Street Meths. and St.Silas were two other teams and I suspect any churches that had banners on the Whit Sings could possibly have had teams in that league.

N Oxley? The previous owner of Baxters' News was called Willis Oxley, many years ago, might they have been related? I would think at that period, many people stayed within their parish?

I've provided more questions than answers!

R Dickins could he be something do to with the butchers at the end of Toftwood Road?

On the back of the card it says Founded in 1933/34 they have had the experience of finishing 3rd in each of the three divisions of the s Sheffield Friendly League for the last 3 seasons running. In 1935/36 they were winners of the A J Sanders Competion. The average age of the players in this team is 18 to 20 years.

R Dickins could he be something do to with the butchers at the end of Toftwood Road?

On the back of the card it says Founded in 1933/34 they have had the experience of finishing 3rd in each of the three divisions of the s Sheffield Friendly League for the last 3 seasons running. In 1935/36 they were winners of the A J Sanders Competion. The average age of the players in this team is 18 to 20 years.

Yes, I know the butchers you mean - I think he's retired now - but I nearly mentioned that very fact. I can't shed any further light on your query other than the name "Crooks", when did that change?

Archived