Victoria Station

We used to line up at the bottom of the stairs in the wicker on a day trip we had to Cleethorpes.

It was like climbing mount Igor at the time.

Although the enterance to the stairs is blocked i believe the staircase is still there and personally it was the worse thing they could have done when they closed that station.

I don't know about it making a comeback but it make very good sense in re-opening it to take some presure off Midland and Victoria is more central for me as well.

Would'nt it be great to once again see the trains go over the Wicker arches.

Yes, the Strategic Rail Authority is considering reopening the Woodhead line to Manchester as a way of clearing the congestion on the run in to Mdland Station and also at Dore, where Midland Mainline and the Manchester line meet. Victoria would also play a role if the Central Railway to the Chunnel got the go ahead.

Rail travel has got to be part of the solution to the over crowded roads.

There is plenty of scope for railways more than ever these days but all that ever happens is they get rid of it.

I would like to see Britains rail system like Japan and with solid investment and fast trains.

Victoria station would be exellent to be re-opened especially if it was built as a replica of its former self.

At the junction of Halifax Road and Foxhill Road was Wadsley Bridge station, (I understand the bridge has been demolished?) I remember as a kid catching a train there going past Batchelors, and through Beeley woods towards Outibridge and Stocksbridge. Don't remember where we were going, I'm guessing we were on our way to Blackpool or New Brighton, any ideas? This was sometime in the very early 1950's, I also remember getting off the train on the return journey, along with my mam and dad, and having to walk up Foxhill Road to Browning road, were I lived. Is that rail line still in existence? Does anyone know what the large building next to the station was? I remember walking past it, and looking through the street level windows to the floor below street level, don't remember ever seeing anybody inside, though. The rail line going the other way went over the Wicker arches, also over the high viaduct at Herries road.

The bridge at Wadsley is still there and has not been demolished.

The line is no longer in use.

You would head towards the west coast on that line.

Outabridge station is still there but in a delapicated condition and there was talk of biulding houses on that site but was refused due to the 'friends of Outibridge station' who are trying to raise funds to put the station back in to its original condition.

If you leave me your email address by PM then i will endeavoir to email you some pics on how it looks today.

• 2 weeks later...

Oldtimer

I think Wadsley Bridge station was still used a few years ago for visiting football fans coming by special train to Owlerton but the line through to Manchester has been closed for a good while now. I vaguely remember that tall building...was it a grain store and flour mill ?...it's gone now anyway.

The now single track from Sheffield to Stocksbridge steelworks at Deepcar is still open and I believe used very occasionally for freight, but the steelworks are to close.

I went to Manchester that way a couple of times in the 50s and once to Huddesfield. I do remember all the fuss when the new Woodhead tunnel was opened and the line went electric...1954 I think.

Also I went from Victoria to London in 1944 but I don't remember much about that except that I sat on a soldier's knee for most of the journey (although I was travelling with my mother's sister).

At Victoria station I also remember next to the stairs in the Wicker there was a lift up to the platform - I've been in that a few times.

GB

Archived