Victoria Station

Originally posted by mega_monty

Would look quite impressive though, seeing supertrams gliding along the top of the Wicker Arches

Well, If you go up there, which you can do easily, you will see that the top is extremely wide. (in the old days there was about 8 lines plus platforms plus buildings)And you might not be able to see much at all from the ground level, as the tram would go down the middle. So while I agree that it would be lovely, but I don't think you would see anything.

victoria station now that takes me back to my younger days I can remember being on that station with my grand parents and my mum and dad and my brother and sister going to margate we was on that station at 02:00am to catch the 02:45am to manchester on a summer saturday it was,had some wonderful times on there train spotting in the sixties they was proper engines they should never had scrapped that line and the talk about it being reopened is because of the continental containers what should be coming over they have found out that dore tunnel cant take them because it is not wide enough as is cowburn tunnel so the only way they can get them over here is throught the woodhead tunnel but the funny thing about it is I was up there in the summer me and a mate of mine doing some photo's of the old stations and the old line and at this end the sheffield end that is we saw cement wagons going in and out of there if you go up you can see that there is a lot of work going on in that tunnel.We was told by an old rail enthusiast that if you walk the old line to penistone you can see where some new ballast as been laid the power box which is just up from the tunnel entrance as still got power going through it how do I know this simply a friend of mine use to work on that line and he as always told me that the power was never turned off they have been working on that tunnel now for well over a year. the contractors tried to fob us off saying it was for the YEB electric cables .

If you are talking about the Dunford Bridge entrance to the tunnel then it is because of the YEB electric cables. Did you notice the pylons running toward the tunnel, they suddenly stop. They are running the cables through the tunnels so that they don't have to continue over the nice countryside and upset everyone. The cables come out the other end and the pylons continue thereafter.

I would like to see trains running again but how many people would actually use them if they did make a return??

Originally posted by bigkev

continental containers what should be coming over they have found out that dore tunnel cant take them because it is not wide enough

Kev,

they were never going to run the new line through the midland line tunnel at totley. The plan was to run a wider gage new line which went across the wicker arches and out toward tinsley before heading south. The old tinsley marshalling yard is where a large freight depot is planned.

This website is the company who are organising the project.

http://www.central-railway.co.uk/

although there doesn't seem to me any progress this year.

Just to show you how old I'm getting. Victoria Station was the property of LNER the London and North Eastern company, while Midland station belonged to LMS London Midland and Scottish Railway. My mother worked at the Royal Victoria Hotel as a chambermaid. It was the place to stay in the old days. My cousins husband would refuse to sit on the side of the car which had a view of the hated Wednesday ground. I used to kid him mercilessly as a devoted owl.

Hi Guys

I have just spent about half an hour reading through all the posts in this thread! My word there are a few, and I have replied before on this very subject.

Just to clarify for those unaware, the current status of the line and Victoria is as follows:

Sheffield Victoria was officially closed to passengers on January 5th 1970, however Passenger trains to Huddersfield did pass through the station without stopping until they were diverted via Barnsley in May 1983. Part of track through Victoria was lifted in the mid 1980s and the remains of the station itself cleared in 1989 to make way for an extension to the nearby Victoria Hotel.

As for the rest of the line, it is still there as a single track from the junction with the main line at the back of the Dixons/Capita Call centre just off the parkway, at Nunnery Square in Sheffield, and continues on it journey from there though the remains of Victoria, then on to Neepsend, Wadsley Bridge, Oughtibridge, Wharncliffe Side and then into Deepcar, where it used to swing round and off to Penistone, but when the down line was lifted the link to Penistone was also lifted, and the main line was bolted onto the Steelworks line, and now forms one continuous line with only a boundary sign in a sleeper to mark where Network Rail and Corus' maintenance responsibilities change.

There is however good news for all of you who would like to get snaps of trains going along the line, or through Victoria etc as the Steelworks at Stocksbridge is going to start running trains during the day from early in the new year. The number of steel trains is going to be increased form something like 6 to somewhere around 12 per week. This means that they are going to have to run trains during the day. I am desperately trying to find some sort of timetable, or someone who knows when the trains are going to be running so i can take some snaps, but so far no luck.

There is also good news for those of you who would like to see PASSENGER trains running again. As previously mentioned there is a not-for-profit company that has been set up by volunteers who have the aim of re-opening the line to passengers. Take a look at our website http://www.donvalleyrailway.org There are also loads of photos which show the current condition of the line and the stations along the way.

Jony_p that's great news.

I read in last nights star that barnsley council forum are discussing the rerouting of the trans pennine trail, should the woodhead train route be reopened.

Apparently moving the trail would be an extremely simple and straightforward thing to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I Remember the stairs & lift from the Wicker to Victoria station been in that lift a few times. Can't remember much about the station, but I remember there was a big cabinet on the wall opposite where you bought your tickets. The cabinet was one of those with lights, and buttons to press highlighting local places.

• 2 weeks later...

"I Remember the stairs & lift from the Wicker to Victoria station been in that lift a few times. Can't remember much about the station, but I remember there was a big cabinet on the wall opposite where you bought your tickets. The cabinet was one of those with lights, and buttons to press highlighting local places."

Just like the one at the top end of the old Pond St. bus station. By the zebra crossing and the round newsagents?

Archived