Victoria Station

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by JDee

You obviously mean Spital Hill not Snig Hill.

So named because a hospital was once located there.

The Hospital is still there. Derelict now but still standing, partly burnt out . The address is 91 Spital Hill.

Originally posted by pitsmoorboy

The Hospital is still there. Derelict now but still standing, partly burnt out . The address is 91 Spital Hill.

Sorry Pitsmoorboy you are getting mixed up the hospital hasn't been on Spital Hill for about 800 years

Siren

Originally posted by pitsmoorboy

It can't be.

Professional historians at Sheffield Archives are not entirely sure where it was.

• 2 weeks later...

After a scan of the more constructive posts of this thread and dvr website, im sure they are missing some of the real potential of whats left of the line, railway infrastructure costs money, (and since privatisation thats changed to big money). Therefore whats already there and usable needs considering first.

Running steam trains means moving the engine from the front to the back at each end of the journey, theres a loop at stocksbridge but not at sheffield vic therefore use the line down to meadowhall, run the engine round on the triangle to tinsley, build a platform there too so dad can take the kids on the steam train whilst mum does the shopping!

Commuter train mode build cheap short platforms (like w yorks metro does - note to sypte pull your finger out!!)at the steelworks, deepcar, oughty, wasley and supertram interchange nunnery park and ride (its on the drawing board) and maybe meadowhall again, incorporate tram to town ticket in the price thus saving time on a reversal and keeping out of the way of mainline trains at midland.

In the longer term access to midland could be obtained by building a spur along side the tram track at meadowhall.

Originally posted by upblock

After a scan of the more constructive posts of this thread and dvr website, im sure they are missing some of the real potential of whats left of the line, railway infrastructure costs money, (and since privatisation thats changed to big money). Therefore whats already there and usable needs considering first.

Running steam trains means moving the engine from the front to the back at each end of the journey, theres a loop at stocksbridge but not at sheffield vic therefore use the line down to meadowhall, run the engine round on the triangle to tinsley, build a platform there too so dad can take the kids on the steam train whilst mum does the shopping!

In the longer term access to midland could be obtained by building a spur along side the tram track at meadowhall.

(slight snip for brevity)

hi, upblock, and welcome to the sheffield forum!

I am really intrigued at what a good idea you have put forward in your post above.

I really like the idea of "pleasure" trips, using the currently defunct lines and/ or running them alongside, say the meadowhall route, so that one parent (not necessarily the father lol) can occupy the kids, whilst the other parent shops, (Again, not necessarily the mother! lol)

it would be a great way to pass the time,

And, speaking as a woman, *I* would opt for the pleasure trip on the train, over trekking around mad as hell, shopping. lol !!

PT

Interesting idea there upblock. The only problem is going to be for them to get permission to run on the main line. I gather that they are wanting to run as a sort of heritage railway, so they would probably not be alowed to run all the way up to medowhall from Victoria. But theres nothing to stop them trying - why dont you email them and suggest it?

A =)

It was a BIG!! mistake closing the Woodhead route. I say "Bring it back and rebuild Sheffield Victoria!!"

On my first visit to Sheffield in Nov 1979 I was staying in Baxter Drive in Birley Carr and from the bedroom window I could see the top of the Class 76 electric trains trundling through the remains of Wadsley Bridge Station on their way to and from Manchester.

After I moved up to Sheffield in 1980, I lived for a time up Herries Road and had to go under Five Arches. I also remember watching the trains going across The Wicker on a Sunday evening in July 1980.

Is the track still down as far as Stocksbridge, and is there any traffic still running on the line?

Patrick

(in Bournemouth)

patrick,

I used to live in a flat, just beside the five-arches bridge, by that pond on herries road. (this was over 20 yrs ago) and i remember the trains running along the embankment above where I lived,

wadsley bridge station was used regularly, particualrly for football specials. i ca't fathom why these lines did not generate profits!

PT

Originally posted by Patrick316

It was a BIG!! mistake closing the Woodhead route. I say "Bring it back and rebuild Sheffield Victoria!!"

Is the track still down as far as Stocksbridge, and is there any traffic still running on the line?

Patrick

(in Bournemouth)

The track is still a single line down as far as Stocksbridge, where it has been attatched to the steelworks line, and the way up to penistone has been lifted. The only traffic down the line currently is freight (carrying wire/rods) to the steelworks. But i believe there is a group trying to re-open it?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29233

Archived