Victoria Station

Memories that are always there i.e. seeing some green coloured coaches on an express

circa 1958. Presume they were Southern Region, probably from Bournemouth, to where I believe there was a direct connection from the Victoria.

Come on Anoracks, is my memory telling lies or what ?

... green coloured coaches on an express

circa 1958. Presume they were Southern Region, probably from Bournemouth, to where I believe there was a direct connection from the Victoria.

Quite right - there was a mid-day departure to Bournemouth, which I think started from Bradford. Here is a scan from a 1954 list of departures.

Its a myth ive not heard this particular one about them been briked up in woodhead tunnel but there was a huge debate in the technical press around 15 years ago as if you go through the records there are around 120 steam engines that dont have a scrap listing listed.

Agree with comments above it was 11 years after steam finished that mrs thatcher came to power and they had all gone by then and they would have been beyond use any way.

Not true that they would have been beyond use, Woodham's Scrapyard at Barry Island had nigh on 300 loco's there in 1969, stored out side. The last one was removed in 1990.

A major factor in the closure of the Woodhead route was the fact that it was the only line in the country to use DC power. Apart from being far more dangerous than AC it was impractical to buy locos just to serve this one line.

It's amazing, the amount of interest Woodhead still generates. Has anyone actually attempted to walk thro' the tunnel, or indeed, along the track, say from Penistone. There should be a 'Woodhead Walk'. There are lots of good pictures on the Woodhead thread so somebody must have access.

• 9 months later...

Archived