Victoria Station

Originally posted by JDee

Doctor Beeching was criticised for closing down rail networks in the 1960s but in fact he saved this country billions.

Cost this country billions more like. Thats why we've got so many lorries and trucks clogging up and wearing out our motorways and other roads much of this could have gone by rail if the rail networks had not been chopped.

Originally posted by JDee

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Its a fascinating walk along the trackbed from Victoria all the way up to Wadsley Bridge.......... I have done it many times

It's a wonder that you weren't eaten alive.

The Five Arches over Herries Road was full of rats and weasles.

My very first bedsit, when I left home was at the back of the pond just by the five arches railway bridge. The train tracks ran right beside my house.

Sadly, by this time, (very early 1980's)by my recollection, the track was pretty much limited to carrying match-day specials to wadsley bridge station for the footy at hillsboro'. I don't remember much other traffic on that line at all. It was fairly quiet.

Walking at night, along that little cul-de-sac, past the pond was terrifying, we'd see rats that looked (to us) as big as small dogs. Gosh it was spooky!

When the weather was nice, we'd go across herries road, and sit on the hill on the opposite side (the Scraithwood side) and we could look down, over the rails and toward the cemetery and the footy ground.

I know what you mean, goldenfleece, about the bridge being spooky. I found it darned eerie even in the daytime! I always ran through the bridge, I was so scared.

PT

Originally posted by mega_monty

Cost this country billions more like. Thats why we've got so many lorries and trucks clogging up and wearing out our motorways and other roads much of this could have gone by rail if the rail networks had not been chopped.

Oil will no longer last a lifetime.

Things will change.

I know what you mean, goldenfleece, about the bridge being spooky. I found it darned eerie even in the daytime! I always ran through the bridge, I was so scared.

PT [/b]

Can you still get up onto it? This was years ago I walked along the line, circa 86 I think.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish Network Rail would clean up the Wicker Archers.

It was me who asked Sheffield City Council's Highway & Lighting Department 3 years ago if they could turn the floodlights back on,

All you have now is the whole of the top of the Archers full of graffiti.

I hope then next time the yobs do it the train to Stocksbridge is coming along!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by goldenfleece

Can you still get up onto it? This was years ago I walked along the line, circa 86 I think.

It still has a single track, as of today, but it is impossible to walk on the trackbed in the Wadsley Bridge area unless you can scale a 2 metre high spiked steel fence.

L.M.S. & L.N.E.R. Thats what we called the two stations, L.M.S. was the Victoria station or was it the other ..and My Uncle Norman was a Fireman on the L.M.S....and it was a great thrill to hear the whistle blow..and the train lights to go on (sometimes they didn't) and enter the Woodhead tunnel it was magic sat there in wonderment with smell of burning coals in your nostrils listening to the clicker-ti-clack of the rail joints on the wheels, and waiting to see daylight again..I've never fogotten that in almost 60 years....Bring back steam.

Originally posted by Timbuck

L.M.S. & L.N.E.R. Thats what we called the two stations, L.M.S. was the Victoria station

Sorry mate. Victoria was the LNER station. Sheffield Midland was the LMS station. Thre LMS did have a (dead end) station near by, between Saville Street and Spital Hill, built by the precursor to old Midland Railway (North Midland). This was closed to passenger traffic when Midland station opened.

Victoria was built by the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway, which became the Great Central Railway in 1899 and was combined with several others to form the LNER in 1923.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Mate.

Supercol is correct Victoria Station which was accessible via Wicker/Spital Hill or Victoria Station Approach.

Was LNER and Midland Station on Sheaf Street is and still is LMS.

I used to Train spot and travel from both stations when I was a youngster so I think I would have known.

Archived