Victoria Station

Originally posted by Yorkie

It is a great pity that the Stocksbridge- Victoria line is just going to waste, but I really cannot see that project succeeding. There just isn't the passenger traffic to make it pay.

Really? What about the thousands of people who live along the route that have to queue to work every day?

It would need the replacement of the whole single railtrack that has been removed - that would cost a fortune.

Not tue. The line still exists and would not need that much work to bring up to passenger standard

It would need the rebuilding of all the stations en route that have been demolished - that would cost a fortune.

Partly true - we will need some money, but we have plenty of engineers among us who are ready and willing to give up thier time to help us. We will do it all (where appropriate) through volunteer hours. So it wont cost us, exept for materials.

It would need the payment of rolling stock and track rent to the successors of Railtrack - that would cost a fortune.

And Victoria Station is now in the middle of nowhere - it would be a long walk for anyone working near the Hallamshire Hospital, Attercliffe. Meadowhall or The Moor. Sheffield University students would also find it unattractive.

It would be far better to let sentiment go - and develope a first class bus service to shuttle between Stocksbridge, Deepcar and Middlewood to link up with the Supertram.

1) We will buy the rolling stock

2) We will have to come to some agreement with Network Rail

3)Victoria station is not that far away from civilisation!

4)Who is going to pay for the "First class bus service?" - First dont want to know, Yorkshire Traction run 1 bus every 2 hours, and then theres the "Stocksbridge Flyer" that no one knows how to use?

I've been away so long that it's hard to believe that I didn't know the old Victoria station was gone!! My mother worked at the old Victoria Sation Hotel as a chambermaid just after WW1. It was the height of luxury in those days. But it was always secondary to the Midland. For anyone who didn't know ( or care } The Vic was on the LNER ( London North East Railway Line ) while Midland was on the LMS ( London, Midland and Scottish line) before British Rail screwed it all up.

It is a great pity that the Stocksbridge- Victoria line is just going to waste, but I really cannot see that project succeeding. There just isn't the passenger traffic to make it pay.

With proposed new major housing developments planned for Stocksbridge, I can see a great demand for such a service. If everyone who was to move in to the Stocksbridge area was to commute into Sheffield by car everyday then Middlewood would be even worse than it is now for driving through.

If the service was in place I for one would be using it as it would be less hassle, delivers you straight into the city centre and of course you get to travel on a train.

As mentioned by someone further up on the thread, about the Victoria station being out in the middle of nowhere. I agree with this to some extent BUT I feel that if it was rebuilt and the station part of the national rail network then it would aid regeneration down near the wicker hence the enlargement of the city centre.

• 1 month later...

A subject I am very close to. The line between Victoria, and for that matter, East of Victoria where it links to Darnall, Woodhouse, Gainsborough and beyond, is a very potentially important rail corridor through the heart of Shefield City and Suburbia. It passes through some tightly packed residential areas like Wadsley bridge, linking all manner of increasingly populated areas like Outibridge and Deepcar and beyond. Any one who re-opned this line would find it was a real lifeline to the City from these outlying areas which are appallingly served by slow old buses getting jammed in traffic on the A61.

The track remaining is only single track but still in good condition, requiring little major work. Add a few passing loops and you could have a regular service running in both directions like clockwork.

I would go so far as to replace the missing track all the way to Penistone junction/station and link in with routes to Barnsley, Meadowhall and Huddersfield, rather than have it just be a dead end. The track bed is all still there. Of course it means laying several miles of track, but as a long term plan, it would aid travel around this rather difficult route from Sheffield to Penistone which presently has to detour via Barnsley. Also the direct single track link to Midland station could be exploited which of course would link directly with the Supertram network. There is great scope for increasing traffic with double tracking in the future, as the trackbeds are all originally designed for this.

The issue re Vic STation and its location is relevant....it IS a little poorly positioned these days as The Wicker is somewhat an unfashionable area now. However, walking into "town" is no further than it is from Midland STation, also poorly positioned in reality.

• 3 weeks later...

everyones on about the routes victoria would use if it made a comeback, how big would it be, they've got the tunnel extension supposidly coming here, the woodhead route appartenly making a comeback and that don valley railway link being created and even a tram link. If all this happened thats alot of trains, the station would need to be at least the size of the midland one, does any one know of the possibly size

Originally posted by nickswfc

everyones on about the routes victoria would use if it made a comeback, how big would it be, they've got the tunnel extension supposidly coming here, the woodhead route appartenly making a comeback and that don valley railway link being created and even a tram link. If all this happened thats alot of trains, the station would need to be at least the size of the midland one, does any one know of the possibly size

I think it's all pie in the sky. Too expensive.

My dad worked as a fireman for the LNER during and just after the war, he was the first to take a loco over the Wicker arches just after a quick repair job after the unexploded bomb made a hole in it.

He wrote an interesting book about his experiences on the railway at this time called "Footplate Memoirs", it should still be available in the City library if anyone is interested.

Archived