Peugeot 206 help!

Right here goes.

I put £5 in the tank yesterday and the fuel needle did not move one little bit (even at todays price it usually moves 1/8th) Called the dealer who said it does not register anything under 7 ltrs, although I nearly always put £5 in at the beginning of the week and it ALWAYS moves (and it usually gives me one day worth of my day to day travelling) , so something was not right. However, the needle is still heading down as normal.

So today, the fuel warning light beeped. I drove 7 miles and then put in another £5, still no increase on the needle. So I drove another 8 miles and put in another £5 amd the needle is still bang in the middle of the red bit on the fuel indicator. Usually, as I said, £5 moves the needle up by 1/8th so £10 sould had moved it by 2/8th minus the 8 miles I travelled to the second station. Surely two lots of £5 should move it out of the red.

Something similar happened several months ago. Where, if I put £5 (before the warning beep) it would not move past the 1/8th mark, even if it was a mm below it. But then, if I put another £5 in, the needle would react as though I had put £10 in, in one go. Also, if it was below the 1/8th mark and I put in £10 plus in, then when I turned on the ignition it would pause at the 1/8th then proceed as normal (it also did this a few days before).

Anybody know what's wrong, could the two be connected?

Cheers

Lee

Probably a faulty sender or connection to the sender unit in the tank, a poor connection might explain the erratic behaviour, failing that a faulty gauge. No real way of telling without either using the Peugeot diagnostics or eliminating each option yourself.

Probably a faulty sender or connection to the sender unit in the tank, a poor connection might explain the erratic behaviour, failing that a faulty gauge. No real way of telling without either using the Peugeot diagnostics or eliminating each option yourself.

When I took it in the last time it worked ok after. However, today, he said he was not sure if anything had been done on it and was 'looking' in to it to see if something had been done. Yet, they told me something had been done.

It must have though, because I do this nearly every week, and, when you've driven the same car for 3 yrs, you get to know when it's not right.

My main worry is that, if I go with what the needle says, I've got perhaps ten miles left, yet there's £10 of fuel in the tank!!

Fair enough but they are the likely culprits. Spraying some contact cleaner on some bits of wiring is 'doing something with it' and it might work temporarily but its not really a cure and not all garages, main dealers included necessarily alway do a first class job. If you fill it up then you know it's full and knowing what sort of MPG is gets and how big the tank is you can calculate yourself how much fuel is left.

Why not try putting in more Petrol? Why do you only put in, in £5's?.. Doesn't seem much if you use it every day as it appears by your post.. If its in the reserves the needle wouldnt move much would it?..

You mean ignore the problem? Don't think so, more trouble than it's worth. If you actually read my post, you will know that it does, and has done for the last THREE years. Also, £25 lasts me all week, in the last 24 hours it's had £15 to no affect. Sensible answers only please. Thanks.

I would agree with mrsmills, it does sound like a sender fault. I had virtually the same problem on my MG - I would put petrol in, but the gauge would only register upto the halfway mark.

Cheers Annoni_mouse

Hopefully they'll get it sorted. Just wondered if anyone else had the same problem, especially with a 206.

Regardless of what the others think, £5 has always got me out of the 'red', even if it was only by a little (even when I had a driving job where appointments meant sometimes I had to drive in the red for some time, something I have not done for ages) and ten pounds within 15 miles of being in the 'red', should definately get it out of the red (it's a small car, not a tank).

Archived