Remembering days out during the 'six weeks holidays'

shaznay

I used to love it when we went to the paddling pools at Rivelin, it was the next best thing to the seaside,it used to get absolutely chocka on a hot day.

Also loved Millhouses lido, Longley baths, Clifton Park to name a few,

Can you remember places you got taken to in the six weeks holidays?

My brothers, sister and I would take some dripping or jam sandwiches and a lemonade bottle filled with water to the fields that are now the Parkway.

We would have a wonderful adventure and be (unknowingly) not far from home.

We usually had a battle with the "Wybournites" on the burning tip

and get back exhausted in time for tea.

I got into trouble for their cuts and bruises because I was the eldest.

Did anybody go bilberry picking? I remember going in my Dads van, we parked somewhere in the Strines area, and Mum would give us a bowl for picking the Billberries, then mum and dad would get the thermos out, stewed tea and potted meat sandwiches.

The billberry pies mum made were brilliant, I wonder if people still go picking them?

Certainly did Steve, we got on a bus in Pond Street to take us to Wyming Brook. If unlucky, the bus only went as far as Lodge Moor and had to walk the rest of the way. My wife and I went there last Summer, although the bilberries were still plentiful Ihe place had changed so much since my childhood. The picknickers in those days walked up to a farmhouse near the brook for pots of tea. I bet there arn't many bilberries in the

I. O. W.

We too use to go to Lodgemoor and Wyming Brook,

We would walk from Lodgemoor and sit on top of the craggs and lean over to get the best bilberries that were just out of reach.

A blanket was taken for Moms and Dads to sit on, I cannot remember sitting down.

We would beg a penny and buy a glass of milk from a farm way up a hill, still warm from the cow.

Think we ate all we collected as cannot remember the bilberry pie.

hazel

Archived