Remembering days out during the 'six weeks holidays'

shaznay

Many days spent on a bus ride to Fox House and then playing by the river on Longshaw estate. Jam butties and a bottle of water - always tasted wonderful.

Millhouses park too, playing in the paddling pools.

Weston Park playing around the pond then a look in the museum.

Rivelin Valley, we occasionally went there for a picnic.

My nan lived in Cleethorpes so I would often spend many weeks there in the summer.

Best of all were the WMC days outings, depending which club as to how much spending money we got 10/- or 12/6

Marion

The first time I saw the sea was on a day trip with the Manor Club to Cleethorpes which must have been just after the war.We got 2/6 spending money & some vouchers to go on the rides in Wonderland.Also we got fish, chips & peas followed by apple pie & custard,A virtual feast considering that things were still on ration.It was the first time I had ever eaten fish of the chipshop variety.Great.

My little brother and me used to go to Carbrook Rec on our own but sometimes we went to Millhouses if my mom took us on the tram.

We would take some bread and something sandwiches and a bottle of tap water for our picnic.

My grandma worked at the Adelphi and had a complimentry pass so Monday and Thursday we would probably go to the matinees if it was a U certificate. The programme used to change on those days so I think that was why we went then.

Sometimes we went to Clumber Park at the weekend or Toads Mouth or even Cleethorpes. We had a motor bike and sidecar but we would do that anyway of a weekend, not just in the 6 weeks holiday.

I used to love it when we went to the paddling pools at Rivelin, it was the next best thing to the seaside,it used to get absolutely chocka on a hot day.

Also loved Millhouses lido, Longley baths, Clifton Park to name a few,

Can you remember places you got taken to in the six weeks holidays?

Ah, yes, can remember the paddling pool at Rivelin.Used to take a bottle of pop and sandwiches down on the Circular bus.We really thought we were at the seaside.

In my time we only got 4 weeks holiday. Much of it was spent in Millhouses park after returning from our family holiday,usually in Devon.

The steam trains pulling up the hill by Millhouses Park were a site to see for a would be engine driver like me. Another memory is of the tram ride along Abbeydale Road and looking for that Pennyfarthing bicycle above the window of a bike shop. I wonder what happened to it.

Day trips to Castleton in the 1950s, before it became clogged with traffic. We would take the No 72 bus from Sheffield and walk up Cave Dale and across the hill to Winnats Pass, then over to the Blue John Caverns (admission 9d - no electric lighting; the guide had a carbide lamp and every other person carried a candle). Sharing our sandwiches with curious sheep. Watching the rope-maker at work. We would often walk to Hope station to take the train back - an ex-L.M.S. steam engine with three or four old suburban coaches.

The paddling pool at Rivelin was excellent on a hot day, as was playing cowboys and indians in Roscoe Wood, and fishing for tiddlers in the mill streams.

Archived