How many working mens clubs are still open?

pigeon

WMC's are real relics of the 'old skool' days......they tend to be very old fashioned and 1970's decor with glittery stage and curtains, and have very dated membership rules and regulations, like 'Ladies nights' which are a bit non PC these days. I have been to about 4 in Sheffield and found them very stifling and full of stereotype characters from 'Little Britain'...lots of Vicki's, Andy's, etc.....beer was cheaper than pubs by about 10 pence, and it was all school canteen style tables, plastic glasses and stacking school chairs.......like a big school hall......

think 'Wheeltappers and Shunters' Social Club TV series from 1974, repeated on UK Gold about 5 years ago, and you will get the picture nicely.........

I think they like to preserve this old 70's image actually, its kind of quaint......but I was a bit dubious about them as I was the only guy with long hair in all of these places so got stared at all the time I was there, and a few comments made about being dragged to the Barbers!!! Most guys there were shaven headed and in trackies, doused in Old Spice and wearing footie shirts. But the older ones tend put on suits, and wear their best set of teeth too.....Its not unsual to find 40 something bleached blond women dressed in leopard skin dresses either.........

i agree entirely with GOLDENFLEECE , i go in a WMC on a saturday night for an hour , you know exactly who will come in and at what time , they sit in the same seats drink the same amount , talk about the same old stuff , play bingo and listen to some dead singer belching out the same old neil diamond stuff as all the other turns from the previous weeks , think i will throw a rope over a tree next time owts better than that...

:hihi:know what you mean, "on the street where you live.". "delilha".. "danny boy" then all quite around the room for your bingo...."oy,no talkin during bingo" " can you play that bandit after weve done ere luv " :hihi::hihi:

it was a lot better than all this boom.boom boom you listen to its a wonder in does not send you barmey

yeh last time i was in the local social club , there was a singer belching out "The green green grass of home " to 18 people , halfway through it was time to make our getaway , as we approached the door he spotted us and said mind your heads as you go out lads , most embarrasing . Most of the old political clubs seem to be social clubs now , those that excist.. nearly 50 years ago my first call in Sheffield from Bradford was Wadsley Bridge WMC , it was on a dual carriageway on the right approaching Sheffield , stood in its own grounds as i remember , it was a beautiful big club , trams were still running in those days , i think my memory serves me right , did that same road continue to Penistone Road , Bassetts on Beulah Road , Sunblest Bakery (John Newboulds) on the left , Daniel Doncasters steel works , all calls of mine , are they still there please ....

yeh last time i was in the local social club , there was a singer belching out "The green green grass of home " to 18 people , halfway through it was time to make our getaway , as we approached the door he spotted us and said mind your heads as you go out lads , most embarrasing . Most of the old political clubs seem to be social clubs now , those that excist.. nearly 50 years ago my first call in Sheffield from Bradford was Wadsley Bridge WMC , it was on a dual carriageway on the right approaching Sheffield , stood in its own grounds as i remember , it was a beautiful big club , trams were still running in those days , i think my memory serves me right , did that same road continue to Penistone Road , Bassetts on Beulah Road , Sunblest Bakery (John Newboulds) on the left , Daniel Doncasters steel works , all calls of mine , are they still there please ....
the club is but the rest have gone or "been streamlined":huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived