How many working mens clubs are still open?

pigeon

• 4 weeks later...

The smallest working mens club had to be the Grimesthorpe Railwaymens Club opposite Grimesthorpe School, it was on the corner of two streets ( names escape me.) It operated as a club for many years ( perhaps some people might know the origins and history.) I know it's been many things since and I seem to recollect it being a Hostel of some discription. Is the building still around?

The smallest working mens club had to be the Grimesthorpe Railwaymens Club opposite Grimesthorpe School, it was on the corner of two streets ( names escape me.) It operated as a club for many years ( perhaps some people might know the origins and history.) I know it's been many things since and I seem to recollect it being a Hostel of some discription. Is the building still around?

Yeah we spent many years going in Grimesthorpe club but never realised it was a railway club. If you go on the 'anyone from Grimesthorpe' thread they'll fill you in on the history. Yep the building is still standing, it is a hostel but to make it sound more up market it's called a guest house!!

Hello Everyone

Sheffield Lane Top WMC is still open. I have been going every Saturday and Sunday for about 10 years! It's still popular and is busy when we go. It is what it is a WMC and not a nightclub! I think it's only one of a few places where you can go to meet like minded people. Most people in there are really friendly and there's hardly any trouble. So if you want a nice night out, come and join, there's people of all ages who are friendly, polite and well mannered.

Hello Everyone

Sheffield Lane Top WMC is still open. I have been going every Saturday and Sunday for about 10 years! It's still popular and is busy when we go. It is what it is a WMC and not a nightclub! I think it's only one of a few places where you can go to meet like minded people. Most people in there are really friendly and there's hardly any trouble. So if you want a nice night out, come and join, there's people of all ages who are friendly, polite and well mannered.

Are you talking about the same Lane Top Club as I know it??? The place is in dire need of a decent commitee and the concert room smells of damp!! Friendly, my ar*e! The powers that be have found it neccessary to employ 'bouncers' on the door, who occasionally have a power trip, so if you do go in, remember your club book because "if your names not down, youre not comin in!!" :hihi: The smoking ban has virtually killed the place, and 'alleged' dodgy goings on have cleared the decent bar staff.:roll: If you know the place as well as I do, you know what I mean.

Sadly, something needs to be done, and quick, for the place to even survive, which is a shame. The club does have some great characters though(an Irishman comes to mind, bet you know who I mean :D), but on the flip side, a lot of two faced people, but hey, thats like anywhere I suppose. If someone goes in now who hasnt been in for a while, I bet theyll be shocked by the way its changed.

More people like you should go in, that would make the place like it used to be, warm and friendly, not scarce and unwelcoming :(

Archived