How many working mens clubs are still open?

pigeon

I have an O.C. (our clubs) booklet for the 22nd September 1976. For those of you who don't know what that is, it was the weekly booklet (price 5p) people could purchase, to see which artistes were appearing at W.M.C.'s in Sheffield and a few in Rotherham. In this booklet there are 70 clubs advertising. Out of the 70 only 28 are still in existence, 38 are long gone and the other four i'm not sure about. To clubland old timers like me, this is a sad reflection of the times. I wonder how many will close in the next few years?

stocksbridge and district wmc which is called the peggy tub is still open and thats where i,m going tonight

mel

THEY HAD TERRIER AND LURCHER SHOWS THERE many years ago

and hound matches at Burnaby street hillsbourgh,,,

Some of the WMCs are stuck a little in the past, but if they got their acts together (no pun intended) they could well see a resurgence in the future, if they survive the cull. Let's face it, the WMCs offer better entertainment than your average Wetherspoons and their 'Library' type atmosphere, but clubs are failing to capitalise on that fact, if it's not your thing fair enough, but there won't be many pubs left other than Wetherspoons in the not too distant future IMHO :thumbsup:

Some of the WMCs are stuck a little in the past, but if they got their acts together (no pun intended) they could well see a resurgence in the future, if they survive the cull. Let's face it, the WMCs offer better entertainment than your average Wetherspoons and their 'Library' type atmosphere, but clubs are failing to capitalise on that fact, if it's not your thing fair enough, but there won't be many pubs left other than Wetherspoons in the not too distant future IMHO :thumbsup:

I think you are correct there because they dont appeal to a younger type of person. If they appealed to the younger generation I am sure more clubs would stay open. If you use the clubs now though the average age is about 50-55 of the people in there

Anyone tried Handsworth Social Club, its the smaller club on Hall Road, not the one on the main Handsworth Road, ( a lot of people mistake it for that one).It is a great club, its modern,very nicely decorated and clean,it has a games room,a lovely lounge which is more like a pub as no children are allowed in that room, but are allowed in the other ones, and a lovely big concert room. Its got a good strong committee running it now and its one of the top clubs now. it has a lot of young members coming in and they really enjoy themselves when there is a good entertainer on. Trouble is a lot of clubs cant afford the good "turns" because not enough people go in so they dont make much money over the bar as to pay for them, and people dont go in the clubs because the turns are rubbish so its catch 22 situation. We need to encourage the young ones to come back to the clubs and bring back the good times, not all like the wheeltappers and shunters club you know. Ha Ha

• 2 weeks later...
anyone tried handsworth social club, its the smaller club on hall road, not the one on the main handsworth road, ( a lot of people mistake it for that one).it is a great club, its modern,very nicely decorated and clean,it has a games room,a lovely lounge which is more like a pub as no children are allowed in that room, but are allowed in the other ones, and a lovely big concert room. Its got a good strong committee running it now and its one of the top clubs now. It has a lot of young members coming in and they really enjoy themselves when there is a good entertainer on. Trouble is a lot of clubs cant afford the good "turns" because not enough people go in so they dont make much money over the bar as to pay for them, and people dont go in the clubs because the turns are rubbish so its catch 22 situation. We need to encourage the young ones to come back to the clubs and bring back the good times, not all like the wheeltappers and shunters club you know. Ha ha
sounds luverly is it cheap beer

sounds luverly is it cheap beer

Its cheaper than the pubs, no trouble, nice rooms, bingo. open the box and entertainment, kids allowed. What more can you ask. Just need more people to frequent clubs in Sheffield in order to stop them from being closed down, people need to rally round.

Archived