Sheffield 2008 - ROCK Round-up?

Dollyblade

So, Sheffield's City Centre Rock Scene looks like this going into 2008? Or does it, just opening the debate...........

Corporation - open and getting nervous re Academy?

Academy - Opening in April.

City Centre Sportsman - Shut? BUT..........

........ Saturday afternoon Rock Disco to start at Dove and Rainbow? + Rock pretty much the rest of the time.

Moorfoot Tavern - Saturday Rock Nights.

Nelson - open but up for sale?http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/Rock-Bar-For-Sale.aspx

DnR Bar - shut.

Under The Boardwalk - shut.

Over to you Forum ROCK Masters...............

Yep, the Moorfoot Rock night on Saturdays ploughs into almost its 3rd year. You have me DJing and on the majority of Saturdays there's a live rock band playing. Totally free entry, reasonably priced beer and a good atmosphere.

19th Jan - Eyeball

26th Jan - Hellhounds

2nd Feb - Leather Zoo

9th Feb - Ruinetti

16th Feb - FC Dog UK

23rd Feb - Manalishi

8 March - And still they Fly

15 March - Eyeball

29 March - Jezebel

I'm still taking bookings, so if you're in a rock band and fancy a gig, drop me a line.

Buffy

So, Sheffield's City Centre Rock Scene looks like this going into 2008? Or does it, just opening the debate...........

........ Saturday afternoon Rock Disco to start at Dove and Rainbow? + Rock pretty much the rest of the time.

Nelson - open but up for sale?http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/Rock-Bar-For-Sale.aspx

DnR Bar - shut.

I don't think the Corp is under threat. The Academy will be more based on the indie bands and the punk bands that sell lots of tickets, such as NOFX, Rancid etc.

Nice to see Dove and Rainbow doing well, although I'm not really a fan of the music played, the beers are good and it is what it says on the tin, a rock bar.

Under the Boardwalk is a decent venue that needs someone with a good promoter.

DnR Bar I think is a shame to lose. It had the most varied music policy out of all the rock bars. No one has taken advantage of it's closing with a descent punk night, although to be fair there might no be the audience there once was.

It's a shame if the Nelson does close. I saw posters up in there for extreme metal nights and J-pop/rock nights, which no other pubs cater for.

DnR Bar - shut.

But a lot of rock bands will be playing the Academy, take a look at their web sites, bands such as KORN, Paramore, Nightwish, Presidents of the USA, The Almighty, various KERRANG specials, etc, they certainly will take a BIG chunk of rock band gigs in Sheffield.......I think the Academy will add a lot to the rock scene, as well as to various other genres........and boost a lot of trade for those rock venues in close proximity...

The Academy will be more based on the indie bands and the punk bands that sell lots of tickets, such as NOFX, Rancid etc.Nice to see Dove and Rainbow doing well, although I'm not really a fan of the music played, the beers are good and it is what it says on the tin, a rock bar.Under the Boardwalk is a decent venue that needs someone with a good promoter.DnR Bar I think is a shame to lose. It had the most varied music policy out of all the rock bars. No one has taken advantage of it's closing with a descent punk night, although to be fair there might no be the audience there once was.

It's a shame if the Nelson does close. I saw posters up in there for extreme metal nights and J-pop/rock nights, which no other pubs cater for.

See my earlier post, the Academy will be putting on a fair share of Rock bands, like Korn, Paramore, etc. In fact we could see even more top rock bands playing in Sheffield for the first time.....

UTB is re-opening, as I have heard....

DnR Bar is STILL for sale, according to the Estate Agents, but the lease price is outrageous and the building interior is in a bad way, I looked round it last Autumn it needs a small fortune spending on it......

But a lot of rock bands will be playing the Academy, take a look at their web sites, bands such as KORN, Paramore, Nightwish, Presidents of the USA, The Almighty, various KERRANG specials, etc, they certainly will take a BIG chunk of rock band gigs in Sheffield.......I think the Academy will add a lot to the rock scene, as well as to various other genres........and boost a lot of trade for those rock venues in close proximity...

I think it will be really good a lot of bands miss out Sheffield on their tours its really annoying.

Although its not just the bands of the size that will play the Academy a lot of big names who could play the Arena miss Sheffield off its really frustrating having to travel to either Manchester , London or Birmingham a lot of the time.

Archived