Sheffield 2008 - ROCK Round-up?

Dollyblade

well the nelson is up 4 sale can someone PM me about who is selling it and why

Well the nelson is going to be demolished in the next couple of years as part of the revamp of the city centre. Although I was under the impression that they were safe for a couple of years yet.

Well the nelson is going to be demolished in the next couple of years as part of the revamp of the city centre. Although I was under the impression that they were safe for a couple of years yet.

No, we are not. There is 7/8 years remaining on our lease.

And, then if the block is to be demolished we have assurances that we will have a brand new purpose built rock bar built for us, at the base of the new block.

As I've said before, don't believe the hype!

I am surprised to hear The Nelson is up for sale thought it was a winner.

Its also a worry as if it closes or changes from Rock to a different type of music it is definately putting Rock Venues into a decline:mad:

if it sells there will be no point in the new landlord changing it

they did this in london in the 80s and in the end they changed it back to rock but it was to late

we had a new rock pub to go to

and then they pulled it down

now its block of flats :P

i feel bitter about this :rant: as the pub was rundown

when they had made money out of the rock clan they spent lots of money on it turned it to a flash disco club

that fell on its face :hihi: as it was known as as rock pub :D

No, we are not. There is 7/8 years remaining on our lease.

And, then if the block is to be demolished we have assurances that we will have a brand new purpose built rock bar built for us, at the base of the new block.

As I've said before, don't believe the hype!

I am very glad to hear it.

I don't know what we'd do without the Nelson or the Dove and Rainbow..

See my earlier post, the Academy will be putting on a fair share of Rock bands, like Korn, Paramore, etc. In fact we could see even more top rock bands playing in Sheffield for the first time.....

UTB is re-opening, as I have heard....

DnR Bar is STILL for sale, according to the Estate Agents, but the lease price is outrageous and the building interior is in a bad way, I looked round it last Autumn it needs a small fortune spending on it......

Korn and Paramore would never be booked by Corp. Too small, plus Korn have passed their sell by date by about 6 years.

Whoever books the bands at corp is very good, he books the bands that other promoters in the area don't think of getting and pulls excellent crowds.

Most on here won't have heard of Pelican or High On Fire, but when they played in December, the big room was very busy indeed.

Then in the small room, I went to see a band called Boris and a band called Terror.

Absolutely packed it out.

The Academy will bring in bands that Sheffield would otherwise never have got, they won't be taking much business from the other venues.

I am very glad to hear it.

I don't know what we'd do without the Nelson or the Dove and Rainbow..

It would indeed be a cultural desert for rock....but fortunately I am sure this will not happen....As in the title of a well known Rainbow track, LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL.....:)

Korn and Paramore would never be booked by Corp. Too small, plus Korn have passed their sell by date by about 6 years.

Whoever books the bands at corp is very good, he books the bands that other promoters in the area don't think of getting and pulls excellent crowds.

Most on here won't have heard of Pelican or High On Fire, but when they played in December, the big room was very busy indeed.

Then in the small room, I went to see a band called Boris and a band called Terror.

Absolutely packed it out.

The Academy will bring in bands that Sheffield would otherwise never have got, they won't be taking much business from the other venues.

hi nekro

i think golden fleece is right i think bands like nightwish fill the astoria london but we dont have a place the same size in sheffield

hi nekro

i think golden fleece is right i think bands like nightwish fill the astoria london but we dont have a place the same size in sheffield

Yeah, I'm in total agreement with that, sorry if I didn't get my point across properly.

All I'm saying is, if anything the academy will help the existing venues, I don't think any of them are going to be in direct competition.

I've been thinking for some time that Sheffield needed an academy sized venue. I've been getting fed up with bands not playing in Sheffield. I hope having an academy will mean more rock bands come here who would have otherwise missed us out.

Does anyone know if the academy are keeping the Roxy building as it is? (But removing the Roxy sign of course!). Or are they giving it a "facelift" at all?

Actually I've just found these details on their website:

Academy Music Group Ltd (AMG) will open Carling Academy Sheffield in April 2008. The company is investing £3,000,000 into the refurbishment to create a brand new multi-site venue.

AMG purchased former Roxy Nightclub on Arundel Gate, S1 in November 2007 and has been working closely with the local authorities to ensure the venue will be an outstanding entertainment venue in Sheffield and a firm favourite with music fans, artists and promoters.

AMG will create two separate performance spaces for live music and club events. The main venue, Carling Academy Sheffield will be designed to the highest specification, to attract a high calibre of international touring artists due to its large capacity and technical capabilities with state-of-the-art facilities both front of house and backstage and full in-house production that emulates the reputation and expertise of AMG venues nationwide.

The secondary and smaller, production-complete venue will be the Carling Academy 2 Sheffield. The purpose of this space marks a positive step in AMG's policy for encouraging and developing new bands and artists and giving them the opportunity to play in a professionally equipped venue, as well as offering artists an additional platform to play other slots and gigs within AMG's estate.

Further development details will be announced throughout the refurbishment programme.

Bring on the rock!

Archived