Sheffield 2008 - ROCK Round-up?

Dollyblade

The Corporation have live bands booked right through to the end of the year according to their website, so that's not a sign of them closing. I've heard these rumours before, about 4 years ago and lo and behold they're still around.

Also I do not believe that the sportsman is threatened. The plans I have seen, state that cambridge street is being cleared at the bottum up to the Cole brother's toys department, but between there and the city hall, all those buildings are staying as they are.

I can also confirm that the Classic rock night at the Moorfoot is a thriving night. And the Dove and Rainbow is now a fully mature rock pub, every time I visit it seems to be busier.

Even if all these rock venues do close, I am sure someone will jump at the chance to open new ones. Its not as though this hasn't happened before. (ie Wap, Yorkshiremans, Classic Rock Bar, Under the boardwalk, Corporation when it was forced to move from bank street etc) they are replaced by new venues.

The Moorfoot might not be a full time rock bar playing rock 24/7 but on Saturday nights there's a good turnout of rockers who come down to see the live bands or pop in for one as part of the rock circuit.

It's good to have an alternative to go to one night a week. :)

I also run a karaoke at the Moorfoot on a Wednesday and find quite a few rockers turning up for that and singing rock songs.

A pub or a bar is what people make of it.

Wow....just got up for breakfast myself and catching up with threads.....I hope this does not turn into the situation last year when various rock threads were 'hijacked' by someone who thought they knew everything about everyone on the rock circuit and sent everyone mad.

I would not want to say anything except that the more rock venues there are, the more reasons there are for people to go out and make the circuit grow bigger. So the fact that one bar is perceived as being better or worse than another is really not important.....the fact there are a number of both full time and part time rock bars/venues doing different things in different ways on different nights creates CHOICE and VARIETY and that can only be positive.

Sheffield is very fortunate to have such a variety of rock venues...remember some cities have considerably less. We have a thriving rock scene in Sheffield and should be proud of it!

Wow....just got up for breakfast myself and catching up with threads.....I hope this does not turn into the situation last year when various rock threads were 'hijacked' by someone who thought they knew everything about everyone on the rock circuit and sent everyone mad.

She was funny

Never actually set foot in the Nelson.

The night and the DJs she was slagging off, weren't on til the week after.

Someone fed her that info but got their dates wrong! :loopy:

Good gads goldenfleece an opportunity for some shameless self promotion there and you pass the buck. Whats the point in saying it dont matter if sum are better than others.......? if half the rock venues are pants how does that contribute in a gud way? That will just put people off and they will only go to the gud ones anyway.......WSL no one says a gud word about, and moorfoot really does not have any people in as sum of these point out....these pants places should just shut down and leave the best ones.....

because actually sometimes there is more to contribute to an thread than just an exercise in self promotion....the FEWER rock nights and bars there are, the SMALLER the circuit becomes, and logically with less choice, less people opt for going to town and more stay at home and drink supermarket beer and play their stereos. This is happening to pubs all over the UK, more and more closing down all the time, and if this happened to rock circuit pubs we would have a CRISIS for the very same reason. If there was only 1 or 2 rock pubs or rock nights, there is less choice and less incentive for anyone to go out, which means less income for such rock pubs and the downward spiral (also my favourite Nine Inch nails album)

Part of the great thing about Sheffield is that you can go out on the rock circuit and follow one of several different 'routes'. ie we get a lot of people in fridays/Sats who later go the nelson, and also people from the nelson come down to us later on. More recently the Sportsman has attracted these rock circuit drinkers too, as has West Street live to an extent on saturday, although I dont know if anyone on the circuits I mentioned takes in the Moorfoot Tavern as well, but perhaps as part of slightly different circuit.

In this way we all FEED each other, which creates a lively and vibrant circuit where anyone can meet everyone they know in one or more of the venues. This is what I mean, choice is a great thing. The pre- Corporation crowd thrive on having choices on where to drink prior to clubbing, they are not just stuck with one place to go......I repeat, this is POSITIVE for Sheffield and long may it continue to thrive.

]

You cant get an accurate picture of the local rock scene by going in one pub...or even two....you can only get a full picture after doing the full circuit and taking on board the significant variety of venues there are.

And to say that West Street Live and Moor Foot Tavern are "crap" is not very constructive really......Both places have something to offer and in different ways, and that is part of the great variety of the rock circuit in Sheffield. We all have preferences, yes, but what is not good for you may well be great to someone else.

Archived