What Does Sheffield's Nightlife Need?

1DJ1.co.uk

If that's what you choose you'll be going up against the mighty plug and DQ.

IMO Sheffield needs a good Techno/tech house night in a good venue with a good crowd. There's events around which tick one or two of these boxes but not all three.

Some weekends I'd rather just stay in with my CDJ's and bang out my own party.

Role on the Carling Academy at the Roxy. We may finally get to hear some decent bands in Sheffield on a larger scale. Pubs like the Dove and Rainbow, Grapes, Trippets (a few years ago) are always great when they've got bands/music on. Hopefully a few more of these will crop up. I don't think we need more cheesey clubs or fake 'up-market' bars.

I think that sheffield should have a nightclub where there is more than 1 arena/room playing different music. For e.g electro/house mixing in a bit of bassline 4x4 dnb and techno, RnB/chart in another room and perhaps Indie in a 3rd. I know Plug does this in the week but I think it would be great to have a club which is tastefuly decorated and attracts different crowds. I would like to go to a club where I can mix with lots of people who enjoy different music all under the same roof. I hate having to go to different clubs on different nights for a certain stle of music. Am I on my own??

Some proper up market bars would be good, or more accurately just nice bars, with good drinks, a welcoming atmosphere and a slightly more mature, less rowdy and 'pist' kindas crowd but at the same time a bit different to the city centre's excellent real ale pubs.

I wish I lived in America. All you hear on the radio over there is rock and modern country.

R&B is only played by a minority.

You'd be surprised by the number of people who like country music. Not the Dolly and Kenny variety, but the newer stuff like Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban and Tim McGraw. I sometimes incorporate a song or two into my set and people sit up and listen and usually ask who it is. It's a hidden market which appeals to a lot of people. They just don't know yet that they like this music as it hasnt been promoted in this country.

That won't really help you as it'll not draw a huge crowd but I thought I'd chuck it in the melting pot for the hell of it.

I wish I lived in America. All you hear on the radio over there is rock and modern country.

R&B is only played by a minority.

You'd be surprised by the number of people who like country music. Not the Dolly and Kenny variety, but the newer stuff like Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban and Tim McGraw. I sometimes incorporate a song or two into my set and people sit up and listen and usually ask who it is. It's a hidden market which appeals to a lot of people. They just don't know yet that they like this music as it hasnt been promoted in this country.

That won't really help you as it'll not draw a huge crowd but I thought I'd chuck it in the melting pot for the hell of it.

Although I am not a fan of country myself I know that one or two of my friends who are into rock also like some country rock orientated stuff as well, so you may be right about more people liking it than is thought in general.

Country won't draw a crowd, but it does have a fanbase, especially the more alt country and folk acts that cross over into indie.

I'm a big fan of that stuff.

I'd go. Anything that's not inane suits me. I wouldn't buy much of the stuff, personally, but I'd definitely listen to it.

I'd go. Anything that's not inane suits me. I wouldn't buy much of the stuff, personally, but I'd definitely listen to it.

There's a fella on here called Amsterdammed who put very good nights on at Under the Boardwalk.

Basically, it was three alt country/folk bands, it was free entry but still not too many went along. A shame because the standard of the bands was very good.

Archived