What Does Sheffield's Nightlife Need?

1DJ1.co.uk

I think it needs a superclub, maybe even two so that the competition drives them more.

I dunno - superclubs were very much a mid 90s thing and most have shut down or moved into other areas (people have very short memories and forget GC had basically been a mainstream club for the last few years).

IMO Sheffield needs a good Techno/tech house night

Strangely enough there's never really been a succesful regular (non acid) techno night in sheffield (not in the last ten years anyway) - not sure why that should be?

who says everyone is bored of electro? maybe disco and a few others are.......but a couple of 1000 others who turn up every week at differing venues are certainly not bored of it.

:rolleyes:

Indeed, I am bored of it but thats mainly because its everywhere and i'm tired of it. It gets incredibly tiresome to hear it everywhere week in week out and there are some genuinely awful records. However therein lies the beauty of Plug. once I get bored in the main room I can go listen to indie in the other room and then there the third room where anything goes.

So what we need is a venue with some variety from the DJ's, electro all night is incredibly boring, so is house, so is anything.

I'd like to see a venue where the DJ's have an eclectic taste and are allowed long sets to express themselves and really let the crowd get into the music.

I'd like to see resident DJ's who have talent and skill and be allowed to be proper residents. Any night is only as good as its residents and in sheffield resident DJ's I can respect are pretty generally missing (thats not to say I have no respect for any sheffield DJ's, I do. None of your business who though!)

Mainly though i want to see a night that has integrity and is devoted to the music instead of hype and marketing and a crowd to match.

I doubt i'll see it. In sheffield apathy is king. When Quality is available its ignored.

Mainly though i want to see a night that has integrity and is devoted to the music instead of hype and marketing and a crowd to match..

Presumeably also playing the sort of music that you like...

As there are quite few nights in Sheffield that match your decription of having integrity with a good solid upfor it & loyal crowd...

Presumeably also playing the sort of music that you like...

As there are quite few nights in Sheffield that match your decription of having integrity with a good solid upfor it & loyal crowd...

Not necessarily. I'm not a trance monkey but have been to Off The Rails and enjoyed it immensely

I agree with some of what you're saying there Disco. However I can never tire of my fave music all night, if the DJs are good.

To be honest, one thing that impresses me in Sheffield is the dedication of the people running nights in Sheffield. I like that if a night loses it's 'home' it pops up elsewhere.

Luckily I feel my music tastes (D&B) are well-catered for with top DJs coming to Sheffield and also nights such as Feedback which showcase different, less mainstream sounds.

People such as Junglist Alliance have integrity and are great at warming the crowd up and getting people interested. Guess it all depends on what you're into. I like how the Tuesday Club often have a combo of breakbeat, drum and bass, dubstep or reggae all going on in the same night. Sometimes with one dj playing two different sets in two different rooms.

I think that sheffield should have a nightclub where there is more than 1 arena/room playing different music. For e.g electro/house mixing in a bit of bassline 4x4 dnb and techno, RnB/chart in another room and perhaps Indie in a 3rd. I know Plug does this in the week but I think it would be great to have a club which is tastefuly decorated and attracts different crowds. I would like to go to a club where I can mix with lots of people who enjoy different music all under the same roof. I hate having to go to different clubs on different nights for a certain stle of music. Am I on my own??

This, a large club like gatecrasher that had different styles in each room (eg. dnb,dubstep,hiphop/trance,house/RnB,chart/breaks,electro) would be awesome. Maybe having some of Sheffield's more well known producers put in the different rooms.

If that's what you choose you'll be going up against the mighty plug and DQ.

IMO Sheffield needs a good Techno/tech house night in a good venue with a good crowd. There's events around which tick one or two of these boxes but not all three.

Some weekends I'd rather just stay in with my CDJ's and bang out my own party.

Come to the next Cargo buddy, i think you will be quite suprised and would think you could tick all 3 boxes.

Feb 16th is our 2nd Birthday party and without giving too much away, we have a resident from one of Leeds longest running house nights, BASICALLY hes quality and alonside him we have another guy from Leeds who fronts nights in leeds & Berlin.

Thinking of my social group, most people just got bored of clubs or never felt that comfortable with the club scene and would just like something that's a bit different in general, although some classier club nights with some real atmosphere would maybe bring us back too.

Archived