What Does Sheffield's Nightlife Need?

1DJ1.co.uk

I think dj4321gsr may have picked the wrong person to argue with on running a club........

Green is spot on, it isn't just people from Sheffield who go elsewhere. At the last Headcharge we had people who had come from Nottingham, Leeds, London, and strangely enough someone who had flown over from America. They were but a few of the people I spoke to that night.

Let's be honest it's not as if there is some mass migration every Friday night. I go to Manchester now and again, and sometimes to London, Leeds, Chester and Bradford. There are some fantastic nights (Sequence, Room 237), but I've yet to see anything in those cities that we don't have here (or had in the recent past), there just seems to be more of it. And quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality...

I think dj4321gsr may have picked the wrong person to argue with on running a club........

Green is spot on, it isn't just people from Sheffield who go elsewhere. At the last Headcharge we had people who had come from Nottingham, Leeds, London, and strangely enough someone who had flown over from America. They were but a few of the people I spoke to that night.

Let's be honest it's not as if there is some mass migration every Friday night. I go to Manchester now and again, and sometimes to London, Leeds, Chester and Bradford. There are some fantastic nights (Sequence, Room 237), but I've yet to see anything in those cities that we don't have here (or had in the recent past), there just seems to be more of it. And quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality...

Correct me if I am not mistaken but isnt this thread about What Sheffield Nightlife Needs. NOT HOW TO RUN A CLUB.

Headcharge has a massive following and has been running for over a decade and fair play to it, so it will have an out of town following. I was just making suggestions what clubbers also think.

If you want to be like Adelle and turn this into a one dimensional thread then so be it, but dont put down anyone that has merely stated some opinions that are factual. I have not dissed Plug in any way shape or form and YES Adelle you do put on good nights, however your club does have a large capacity. My only critisism on Plug is it slightly too BIG DJ led and the product suffers, but a club your size may have to be like that. If it smaller capacity then it would be open to a lot more things other than the usual music policies. Thats the point I was making. For the record where have I cursed any promoters or club owners. The only thing I have ever stated was there are a lot of people travelling out of town on weekends, which is true. Sheffield is not spoken of high volumes compared to Leeds and Manchester, which I think is a shame. I never come on this thread to pick an arguement, only to address why Sheffield is seeming to become dry. And to be honest there is a mass migration to Leeds and Manchester tonight. I know a party of 20 Sheffielders heading to Leeds tonight.

We could go backwards on forwards on this all night.... There may well be 20 people you know off to Leeds tonight, how do you know there aren't just as many from Leeds who are sat on a train to Sheffield right now?

Nights like Off The Rails, Urban Gorilla, Tuesday Club, Planet Zogg and events at Plug and Leadmill attract people from all over the country. Have a browse through some of the users on DSI, they come from all over the place!

I can see both sides of this... What Sheffield REALLY needs is to be diverse and try things, to go out more regularly, to not complain about ticket prices and to stay positive...

Realistically I think the Plug do a great job of staying as credible as possible for a venue that size, remember what happened to crasher towards the end? Bars can be very profitable but nightclubs/late venues are definitely not huge money makers guys...

On top of this the new Academy opens in April, DQ and nylon both have some brilliant medium sized events for pretty cheap prices and fez is apparently on a revival...

I personally think that the standard of the clubs is pretty good! I think the overall standard of bars leaves a bit to be desired but never really gets talked about...

Good post Matt, I will also state that Sheffield is desperately in need of a high profile fm radio station that can represent the cities cutting edge of Sheffield dj talent, through the diverse music genres.

We need this to educate a lot of people in Sheffield of music that is totally getting ignored by the northern media. As soon as you get to Luton my car radio is bombarded with pirate and legal radio stations playing great new music.

There is a lack of quality music nights with fit girls and believe it or not I think this is a contributing factor. A club full of 80% men could have the best music in the world but it would be pity boring atmospherically. Gotta have the hotties in abundance. House and R&B nights tend to not suffer from this but other music genres tend to be male dominated.

A club full of 80% men could have the best music in the world but it would be pity boring atmospherically. Gotta have the hotties in abundance. House and R&B nights tend to not suffer from this but other music genres tend to be male dominated.

lmfao...your like jade goodie in male disguise!

Your sooo the man..........

Any thoughts on the above?

According to many posts on this forum Sheffield has lost it, what can be done to make it better? Would it be a new club / bar?

Most people on here seem to be rather tired of the electro scene, what do you want to hear?

Your ideas could make a difference....

What does Sheffield Nightlife need?

A New Gay-Friendly Showbar, along the lines of 'Funny Gals' in Barnsley, with LOCAL RESIDENT Drag Queens like myself and Penny Change (Who can be relied upon to turn up regularly) doing weekly/twice weekly shows, as well as other entertainments such as Poledancing, live PA, Magicians, etc...

Such a venue should be able to offer different nights out with something for everyone in the over-18 market...:love:

lmfao...your like jade goodie in male disguise!

Your sooo the man..........

Obviously you dont mind a club full of boring train spotters but I much prefer the company of females in a vibrant club.

By the way Greenie, I'm ultra fit and athletic, very far from fat, definately not racist, better looking. the list goes on.

Quick question do you think Sheffield needs an alternative venue, or do you think you cater for everyone.:huh:

This aint no dig cos I like Plug when some djs are on. Could do with a professional opinion from a club owner.

Archived