Are there any Japanese restaurants in Sheffield?

luckygirl

Wasabisabi is fantastic, you get loads of sushi for your money.

Also try the deep fried soft-shelled crab, it looks like a giant spider in tempura batter but it tastes out of this world.

I'm not keen on Yo! Sushi, you have to wait ages for your favourite thing to trundle past and some git always beats you to it.

• 7 months later...

my japanese friend went to wasabisabi (or however u spell it) she said they were 90% chinese people half pretending to be japanese as they had learnt some phrases.

seems a bit of a con doesnt it lol.

she didnt mind it but said it didnt really taste that traditional.

Love Japanese food and although really enjoyed Wasabisabi would love a yo sushi to open here. You can pick whatever dish you want and it doesn't have to be that expensive if you only want a couple of things! Have resorted to buying the packs from M&S but not as nice as going out to eat and Wasabisabi quite expensive

my japanese friend went to wasabisabi (or however u spell it) she said they were 90% chinese people half pretending to be japanese as they had learnt some phrases.

seems a bit of a con doesnt it lol.

she didnt mind it but said it didnt really taste that traditional.

lol... Well, she isn't wrong there. Let's just say that, there isn't such a thing as an 'authentic' foreign restaurant that will have foreigners working as waitresses/waiters. It's never the case, anywhere.

All I know is that a proper 'sushi chef' by Japan's standard are highly sort after and cost an arm and leg to employ, (just like adim sum chef for Chinese cuisines) and sushi in Japan is a BIG thing. They make the sushi from fresh ingredients, and cut all sushi in a symmetrical way. It takes years to learn how to boil the rice alone. Don't ask me why... *shrugs* They also have different grades of rice that are only eaten in Japan alone, and never imported. So, let's just say that, your Japanese friend will *not* be easily impressed by any Japanese restaurant in the UK. Oh, maybe except for 'Nobu' In London. I think the chef is a Japanese guy too. Some guy trained under him, I think he recently moved to a restaurant in Leeds. They just won an award as well, according to Leed's Time magazine. Now that, I wouldn't mind trying.

Wasabisabi's costs are 'okay' price for sushi, cos in Japan, it cost I think 80p per piece of sushi (when I went there once). At the lower end of their conveyor belt type too. The standard of living is so high there that, the chefs from that country won't work abroad, cos it's kinda beneath them. It's more prestigious in Japan.

Yo sushi is not that nice. It's quite manufactured, I'm sorry to say. Sushi rice should be kept at a certain temperature. I dunno how they manage to preserve rice that cold, but... I don't tend to buy sushi from a fridge. Cos you're just eating cold rice, which is not right.

Archived