Where to take a lady in Hillsborough?

Ron Blanco

Will you have a telegraph under your left arm so she knows it's you? ;)

Well I know for a fact she is a Guardian reader so if she were to catch sight of the Telegraph that might put us at loggerheads from the start. In any case it should be obvious which one is me as I will be the lonely figure twitching nervously in the corner. She, on the other hand, will be recognisable as the lady who pokes her head through the door before retreating and scarpering down the street!

ps thanks also feargal for the Hillsborough Hotel tip - will bear that in mind as a back up.

Well I know for a fact she is a Guardian reader so if she were to catch sight of the Telegraph that might put us at loggerheads from the start. In any case it should be obvious which one is me as I will be the lonely figure twitching nervously in the corner. She, on the other hand, will be recognisable as the lady who pokes her head through the door before retreating and scarpering down the street!

ps thanks also feargal for the Hillsborough Hotel tip - will bear that in mind as a back up.

Aww I'm sure she wont! Like I say, good luck with it all.

Yes, yes, as it turns out I think I should have heeded all the warnings. The lady in question backed out at the last minute - she claims her ex-boyfriend had forbidden her to go out on a date with another man, but I suspect in reality she had heard of Hillsborough's reputation and thought better of it.

I did a recce as sophiec1979 suggested and I thought the garrison looked just the ticket. I poked my head in La Vida Loca too and I thought it looked nice. So next time I may well give these places a try and cross my fingers that my prospective date is not quite as feeble-minded as this one.

An ex-boyfriend had forbidden her to go out on a date with another man?!?!?!? :loopy:

She may have just gotten a little scared with it being a blind date. But:

1. A feeble excuse!

2. If it's true, then why let an ex dictate what you do now. I wouldn't let my current bf dictate what I do, never mind an ex!

I need urgent help here. I have a (blind) date Saturday night and we've agreed to meet in Hillsborough - but I know nothing about the place and I'm concerned that our future happiness could be in jeopardy if I choose the wrong place.

Any suggestions?

I'd like a nice quietish pub to meet, then a nice restaurant (but obviously not too expensive - I'm not made of money after all) and finally maybe a pleasantly convivial bar post-meal.

Do such places exist in Hillsborough?

Well? ...how did it go? :)

Hope you both had a good night :)

Archived