Sheffield myths

Yes,they will have an emergency agenda/plan in place but many of the tasks will be beyond the remit of a private organisation.Drills take place to test the staff but i can really assure you that none of these drills include Meadowhall staff anticipating body bag use.Good myth but as i say 100% myth.

The earlier post re' Meadowhall having a second use as a prison can also be labelled as myth.I understand that the design is a mix of a mall in Edmonton,canada and The mall of America in Minnesota.The architect employed on the original design had been employed on the Canadian mall.

Coopster1974,exactly right.The proportions would be all wrong.I suppose it does have a bit of a look of a Victorian prison ,with its central dome area and the spines running of it.All in all though the prison role is 100% pure myth.

Coopster1974,exactly right.The proportions would be all wrong.I suppose it does have a bit of a look of a Victorian prison ,with its central dome area and the spines running of it.All in all though the prison role is 100% pure myth.

With the size of the corridors it would be more like a prison for giants or dinosaurs. Anyone who believes that twaddle needs their brains feeling.

:hihi:

Puddinburner,I think you will find that the tale of the Meadowhall body bags is 100% myth.Firstly,why would the police,local authority etc place the responsibility for mortuary services after a major incident in the hand of a property company.Have they got the experienced staff to deal with this?

I would say the the myth started in 1992 as new uniforms were delivered to Medaowhall's in-house staff.These were all delivered in long silver suit type holders.Presumably these were seen being offloaded and the myth began.

Exactly right Joshurtree,they were silver coloured suit covers.The myth has lasted well as they were delivered about 1993.

If Meadowhall was going to be attacked in a big way with a bomb or suffer some sort of huge fire...what would be the point of keeping the body bags there..they would be blown up or burnt aswell as the shoppers!!

And as for storage...theres very little. The service corridors are no place to store stuff and when you see the back of the shops them selves they are all stuffed to the gills of stock..theres not an inch of spare space at all.

I have to go down there most weeks through work, so when I'm there next week I'll ask around and put these myths to bed once and for all. . . . . . . .but I might have to start some new myths to replace them.

The only problem that I could see with asking around at Meadowhall is finding anybody still employed from the early 1990's.The retail industry is not exactly known for having a stable workforce.

Rest assured though,the explanation that i have given is genuine.

I'm sure your right on that one Weeowen, I heard it was suit bags too.

On the subject of MH...for years I've being going in there and just shopping but now I'm going in as a contractor its whole new place. Theres so much going on behind the scenes and all of it out of sight of the shoppers. Its un real.

For all the whinging Sheffielders do about the place, you have to hand it to the team at MH, they run it pretty well. There are tons of rules for us to follow when working there, but I love it..its so interesting.

I'm one of those sad o's who likes to watch Big Brother and working there its just like being on the set of BB...you can walk round watching all the coming and goings and no one really knows your there...in amongst all those people...its weird.