Sheffield myths

Only a pedant would claim this. "Official" boundries aside, it is completely obvious to anyone that Manchester is twice as big as Sheffield. It isn't a myth, it's true!

Thats becasue you incude stockport, bury, alti and the sourrounding towns.

Which are towns in their own right and existed before the urban sprwal created

the area known as "Greater Manchester"

Sheffield is actually bigger than manchester.

Only a pedant would claim this. "Official" boundries aside, it is completely obvious to anyone that Manchester is twice as big as Sheffield. It isn't a myth, it's true!

I am being a pedant but this is a thread about myths so that is to be expected really as a lot of myths are what people percieve rather than the actual fact. In many cases stating the fact to dispel the myth may be pedantic but that doesn't mean it isn't true - as in this case.

Without 'Official' boundaries we could argue all day about the sizes of different cities as many cities have outlying villages and towns that are considered (wrongly) by many to actually be part of that city (i.e. Smethwick and West Brom for Birmingham, Dronfield for Sheffield and Batley for Leeds).

The city of Manchester is percieved to be bigger than the city of Sheffield but this in in fact a myth. It isn't a claim but is a fact. Greater Manchester (a county) is made up of the cities and large towns of Salford, Manchester, Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport and Wigan plus the smaller towns and villages that make up the boroughs of Tameside and Trafford. Even if you included Tameside and Trafford as part of the city of Manchester (which they are not) it would still not have a larger land area than Sheffield although it would have a larger population. The myth of Manchester being bigger partly prevails due to the Greater Manchester county being mainly a continual urban sprawl where there are few natural boundaries or countryside to separate the different towns and cities.

I accept that if you were to ask everyone in Britain what city they lived in more people would say Manchester than Sheffield but this does not make it true. The fact is the city of Sheffield is bigger than the city of Manchester and not the other way round or even that Manchester is twice as big as you claim is obvious.

TWO FOR YOU BOTH FACTUAL:

Meadowhall design is so that if it closes as a shopping centre it can be used as a prison (Think about it the width of a prison wing is a fraction of the width of meadowhall )

yeah i heard that,

the people who designed it also desgn prisons, have a look at it

I accept that if you were to ask everyone in Britain what city they lived in more people would say Manchester than Sheffield but this does not make it true. The fact is the city of Sheffield is bigger than the city of Manchester and not the other way round or even that Manchester is twice as big as you claim is obvious.

By your logic the population of London would be 7,800! Are the millions who live in Greater London and not the City of London wrong to say they live in London?

Anyone know if the 'bodybag myth' about meadowhell is true or not?

it was a consignment of suit covers with the zips up the front,when the boxes were opened,one of the lads unloading em said"they look like f*@!KI?G body bags",resulting in much hilarity,by the next day,it had evolved into "we had a consignment of body bags ,..just in case".

By your logic the population of London would be 7,800! Are the millions who live in Greater London and not the City of London wrong to say they live in London?

You could say that if you had no other argument against the fact that Sheffield is bigger than Manchester. I definitely do not say that Sheffield is bigger than London.

London (greater and the city of) is a different entity to Sheffield (South Yorkshire) and Manchester (Greater Manchester) and is unique in that it is a 'sui generis' locality contained in a region (Greater London) rather than a city that forms part of a county. The city of London does have city status but it is classed as a 'sui generis' locality which means it is of its own kind or unique in its characteristics. Along with the Isles of Scilly it is one of the two places in the UK that have this status. It cannot be compared to the cities of Sheffield or Manchester. This is a weak argument to try to contradict the fact that Sheffield is bigger than Manchester.

If you think Manchester is bigger than Sheffield please explain why - and don't say 'cos it's obviously twice as big' or 'it just is'.

• 2 weeks later...

When people refer to "Manchester" they are referring to that great urban sprawl at the other side of the Pennines. It is a huge place. Much bigger than the urban sprawls in West or S Yorks.

While the population of the official city of Manchester may be smaller than that of Sheffield, Greater Manchester is much, much bigger - as everyone knows - except you!

While the population of the official city of Manchester may be smaller than that of Sheffield, Greater Manchester is much, much bigger - as everyone knows - except you!

But Greater Manchester is the county, like South Yorkshire is. Manchester proper isn't bigger than Sheffield proper.

When people refer to "Manchester" they are referring to that great urban sprawl at the other side of the Pennines. It is a huge place. Much bigger than the urban sprawls in West or S Yorks.

Greater Manchester is much bigger than Sheffield - I have never argued otherwise but it isn't a city. It is a county. I know when people say 'Manchester' they often mean Greater Manchester but so what, that still doesn't make the city of Manchester bigger than the city of Sheffield.

As per one of my other posts, the reason a lot of people think the city of Manchester is bigger than Sheffield is because it is part of the urban sprawl of Grt. Manchester. South Yorkshire isn't really an urban sprawl in the sense that Grt. Manchester is and I don't think that West Yorkshire is either - this is irrelevant as they are counties and I am not arguing that the urban sprawl of Grt Manchester isn't large just that it isn't a city.