Sheffield myths

That interested me as to whether or not it was real and here is the wikipedia page, it's definitely a myth! Not just in Sheffield though and apparently he could jump extraordinary lengths! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Heeled_Jack

I remember hearing tales of spring-heeled Jack, as a child in the 70s. His ghostly presence used to leap around the cholera grounds area, apparently, and where Park Hill is now. He features on the Cholera Grounds gates.

Years ago whilst working as a delivery driver I had the task of delivering 10,000 body bags to meadowhall. During the drop I was asked by security staff if I'd like a wander through the solitary confinement dungeons which were built into the foundations in order to enable the building to be used as a prison.

Whilst down there we happened upon a secret door. To our utter suprise beyond the door was an amazing array of old tunnels. We followed a tunnel for what must have been miles and eventually we surfaced at manor lodge.

As we were about to make our way back a very odd looking chap sprung upon us and introduced himself as Mr. Jack. He proceeded to ask me where in sheffield he could find lots of gullible people all gathered. I explained that us northerners don't have gullible tendencies, we're far too Sassy for that. but he insisted such a place existed.

I had no more time to help him search as I had to get back to delivering the bodybags. I still wonder even now where he could've been thinking of???

A myth isn't a myth unless it's been disapproved, even if it's really obvious, you can say it's a myth if it really is extremely obvious it's not true but a myth is a 'legendary story' so unless there's proof it's not true it's not a myth!

The bodybags thing, well I don't believe it but in meadowhall there are a lot of corridors behind the shops and a lot of space too, where the lorries off load is where there's most. There are a lot of storage rooms too for meadowhall itself, situated in 3 areas bunched together, they aren't huge but people saying there isn't room for bodybags clearly don't know what they're talking about! Like I said, don't believe it for one minute but it aint a myth.

Also, meadowhall is a huge target for terrorism, which is one of the reasons why there is so many security and why a lot of them are rarely doing much apart from talking! It's got heavy CCTV, there are no blackspots whatsoever and there is always someone watching every area of meadowhall and anything that looks remotely suspicious is investigated. There is also space under meadowhall, not much and not like all lit and designed for people to walk through! Not seen it all but in the areas I have it's been around 4ft deep, they were filled completely with water when the floods hit - this is how I know they exist as I was there for the cleanup. The thing about it been a prison, again, not a myth, and I don't believe it but it certainly does resemble a prison, with all the different wings and the central part etc, in some places the walls are extremely thick and re-enforced but between some shops (where 1 shop has been turned into 2 or extended) it's just thin stuff, shops have a lot of storage space round the back and access to the service areas, but if it was true about the prison thing it would be entirely possible to install more walls and make them into cells etc and would obviously work out a hell of a lot cheaper than building one from scratch, the location too is weird, there is nothing around it and it's a bit far out but that may just be because of the price of the land or something along those lines!

Years ago whilst working as a delivery driver I had the task of delivering 10,000 body bags to meadowhall. During the drop I was asked by security staff if I'd like a wander through the solitary confinement dungeons which were built into the foundations in order to enable the building to be used as a prison.

Whilst down there we happened upon a secret door. To our utter suprise beyond the door was an amazing array of old tunnels. We followed a tunnel for what must have been miles and eventually we surfaced at manor lodge.

As we were about to make our way back a very odd looking chap sprung upon us and introduced himself as Mr. Jack. He proceeded to ask me where in sheffield he could find lots of gullible people all gathered. I explained that us northerners don't have gullible tendencies, we're far too Sassy for that. but he insisted such a place existed.

I had no more time to help him search as I had to get back to delivering the bodybags. I still wonder even now where he could've been thinking of???

Now, why doesn't the forum have a "like" button, as per facebook?

Love the post, Bethsmummy

I heard there was going to be a raised monorail in Sheffield (like the ones at airports) and the manpower building at the bottom of the moor has that enormous entrace "arch" to accomodate a platform for it, but it never got built.

Actually I'm sure this is true.

I heard there was going to be a raised monorail in Sheffield (like the ones at airports) and the manpower building at the bottom of the moor has that enormous entrace "arch" to accomodate a platform for it, but it never got built.

Actually I'm sure this is true.

Half true, well two true stories but unconnected,

the monorail was going to run up the centre of town on high street, (in the archives, at the library, there's pictures I saw of the artists' impression of the monorail sailing past C&A on high street)

Re the manpower services building at Moorfoot there was a tunnel, designed to carry the Moor's road through to London Road but it was sealed off because of the security climate of the time (IRA etc) and never used.