Sheffield myths

That a lot of people were buried beneath the old Marples building (now HeinGerike) in Fitzalan square, due to being bombed in the blitz. I was told there were so many people in there that night that no one bothered to dig out the bodies, and just buried them, then built over them.

This is no Myth, German bombers came accross and bombed sheffield, some say they mistook the River Don for the canal and made a direct hit on the Marples. This was at approx 8pm Friday night or sat night, anyway as you can imagine the pub was packed and around 72 people lost they're lives. All buried under the rubble. They tried to dig folk out, but it was too late and no hope. I believe they then covered the rubble with Lime and flattened it, making an unofficial mass grave site. There was an article in the Star regarding this not so long ago. There is a memorial plaque in the basement of the bookies but when they looked they could'nt find it.

Anyone know if the 'bodybag myth' about meadowhell is true or not?

Yes this is true! There are hundreds of body bags held at Meadow hall. Due to Major incident risk etc.

I want to know if it's true that there are many bodies buried within the concrete of Tinsley Viaduct. Heard this myth a few years ago, that a lot of gangland members etc went missing from Attercliffe n Darnall whilst the Viaduct was constructed.

No trace, some say they were shot and put in the viaduct?:suspect:

Here is a common myth, there is apparently a network of underground tunnels that stretch throughout the city, intended to be used in wartime situations for getting from one place to another.

The apparent places these tunnels lead to are:-

Central Library

Town Hall

Hallamshire Hospital

Manor Castle

Cathedral

Whether its true or not I have no idea, but I also heard a rumour that someone found an opening to them in firth park.

I have heard something similar to this bt regards to Eldon House (BT) being connected to the Town hall which is then connected to the fire station (carver street).

Feasibly possible as there are extra levels under Eldon house. town hall and fire station would be most likely as they are the centre for S/y if something where to happen unsure of why a telephone exchange would need to be connected though...

I have heard the only things left in Eldon are the bunk beds.

Yes this is true! There are hundreds of body bags held at Meadow hall. Due to Major incident risk etc.

I want to know if it's true that there are many bodies buried within the concrete of Tinsley Viaduct. Heard this myth a few years ago, that a lot of gangland members etc went missing from Attercliffe n Darnall whilst the Viaduct was constructed.

No trace, some say they were shot and put in the viaduct?:suspect:

Sounds a bit 'hollywood' to me that one but they do say truth can be stranger than fiction so i suppose its possible.

Here is a common myth, there is apparently a network of underground tunnels that stretch throughout the city, intended to be used in wartime situations for getting from one place to another.

The apparent places these tunnels lead to are:-

Central Library

Town Hall

Hallamshire Hospital

Manor Castle

Cathedral

Whether its true or not I have no idea, but I also heard a rumour that someone found an opening to them in firth park.

Tunnel leading to the Hallamshire Hospital for wartime use - that really is a myth. The RHH wasn't built untill the late 60's and early 70's.

But, talking of myths about the RHH......One of the lift shafts was supposed to have been built so badly out of alignment that the first time the lift went up it got jammed, and is still stuck there today.

This is no Myth, German bombers came accross and bombed sheffield, some say they mistook the River Don for the canal and made a direct hit on the Marples. This was at approx 8pm Friday night or sat night, anyway as you can imagine the pub was packed and around 72 people lost they're lives. All buried under the rubble. They tried to dig folk out, but it was too late and no hope. I believe they then covered the rubble with Lime and flattened it, making an unofficial mass grave site. There was an article in the Star regarding this not so long ago. There is a memorial plaque in the basement of the bookies but when they looked they could'nt find it.

myth. myth. myth.

*points pb to post number 21 on this thread*

yes 70-odd lost their lives, but no, they weren't left there.

If they had left them there, how the blazes could they have built the "new" marples and the subways (which were where the cellars of the "old" marples was.)

reliable report on the marples here http://www.chrishobbs.com/marples1940.htm

and much discussion about the blitz here on the forum http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16153

Puddinburner,I think you will find that the tale of the Meadowhall body bags is 100% myth.Firstly,why would the police,local authority etc place the responsibility for mortuary services after a major incident in the hand of a property company.Have they got the experienced staff to deal with this?

I would say the the myth started in 1992 as new uniforms were delivered to Medaowhall's in-house staff.These were all delivered in long silver suit type holders.Presumably these were seen being offloaded and the myth began.

No idea babe, just what we were told on training once, that med hall is a major terriorist target...God forbid. In the event of a major incident, the fire engine with the flashing lights was THE place to go to report owt and that Med hall has a ready supply of body bags should a terrible event happen? Maybe someone, who actually works there on security or something can enlighten us on this myth?