Sheffield myths

ok not quite a myth but....

the hole in the rd wasnt filled in..... a m8 who is an electrical engineer had to go out through the old 'scofields' building to get to sum connections. He said it was still there 'mostly' posters n stuff still up. scared the crap outta him tho.

dig the bugger up i say, it was a great sheffield landmark.

You are having your leg pulled. I remember them filling it up. There are plenty of pictures of the rubble from the old Hyde park flats tower being used to fill it up, in local history books and on the internet.

I know a tunnel one which is actually true,

In the 1960s the city council had plans for a road tunnel which went under west street. It connected charter square and Bailey Lane. It was part of the civic circle network of inner city motorways, which gave us the Arundel gate underpass, Hole in the road and Hanover way.

great thread this, as mentioned some while ago though there still posters who think they are adding to it with their flippant funnies...oh how I laughed...NOT!!!:loopy:

Keep em coming:D

PS The one about the hallamshire...is it true that the lifts were installed and then found to be too small to take the width or length of patient trollies?

Anyone know if the 'bodybag myth' about meadowhell is true or not?

No I heard it was just a myth that was spread by someone who saw m&s getting a large delivery of suit bags (bags for formal wear) Although that could be a myth in itself!

great thread this, as mentioned some while ago though there still posters who think they are adding to it with their flippant funnies...oh how I laughed...NOT!!!:loopy:

Keep em coming:D

PS The one about the hallamshire...is it true that the lifts were installed and then found to be too small to take the width or length of patient trollies?

it sure is, sorry a day after I started this I found the other sheffield myth one didnt know so before anyone starts with the research lecture...yeah I love hearing about sheffield myths, heard some good ones on here :)

My grandmother's sister Margaret (would have been my great aunt margaret) was a barmaid at Marples. After the Blitz, her body was never found/recovered. It's one of those sad family stories that no one ever doubted. Weirdly, only recently I saw a picture of her as a little girl and she had a striking resemblance to me - I now wonder if my grandmother ever looked at me and thought 'blimey, she's our Margaret reborn'