The HollyBush pub, Rivelin

Used to go in quite a lot. It has a great friendly atmosphere. Not been in much since the new landlord though (same guy that owns the Yew Tree I believe). He didn't seem to have much stock in when he first took over. Probably should revisit soon and see how things are - used to enjoy the Sunday night quiz! I'm told it does quite well from pensioners lunches during the week. And seems to be very busy on the few sunny days we have, nice big beer garden and car park - should be quite a draw.

You looking to extend your pub empire?

Interested in the history of this pub, how old it is, etc, and who drinks in it, both in the past and at present......
when i first started work the guy i worked with was called bob swinfield he always went in the holly bush.

The Holly Bush Inn was run by my great great grandparents in the 1880's 1890's. George and Martha Marsden were the "Victuallers". My grandfather, their grandson, was one of the ostlers or stablehands looking after the horses of visitors to the pub in the 1880's 1890's. At the beginning of the 1900's my grandad moved away from The Holly Bush and I don't know what happened to Martha Marsden, who was a widow by then. We live in Sydney Australia now, and when we visited Sheffield in 1993/1994 my daughter and me walked along the Rivelin Valley Road and called in to the pub so she could see where her ancestral great great great grandparents had lived and worked. I believe the Marsdens who ran The Holly Bush then now run the Marsden's Pork Butchers, well know in Sheffield. However I do not personally know any of the Marsdens, even though they are distant cousins. It would be nice to hear from them. Joan (wife to sydneyozz)

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting to know a little about the Holly Bush 100+ years ago, and about the link between the Holly Bush and Marsden's pork butchers. George and Martha Marsden have proved hard to trace in census returns, but the 1901 census lists a widow, Martha W.T. Marsden, who was a "laundress" living at "Hollins Top".

Marsden's pork butchers had a chain of retail shops and a factory in Myers Grove Lane. In the 1960s they also owned the old corn mill at Malin Bridge, and the firm paid for the restoration of the water wheel (the mill building is "listed" and the firm currently redveloping the site are oblliged to restore the wheel again). Marsden's shop in Hillsborough closed about 25 years ago and the firm doesn't seem to be much in evidence now - whether it went out of business or was taken over (or still exists in a smaller form) I cannot say.

For what it's worth, the licensee of the Holly Bush in the late 1960s was Dora Woodhead.