The HollyBush pub, Rivelin

Not specifically about this pub, but I have been (reliably?) informed that the name stems from the fact that in the past evergreen trees were often used as meeting places as they were easy to spot all year round. This tradition extended to markets, agricultural fairs etc and the beer and food stalls were often set up near the holly tree or yew tree to make them easy to find!

Not specifically about this pub, but I have been (reliably?) informed that the name stems from the fact that in the past evergreen trees were often used as meeting places as they were easy to spot all year round. This tradition extended to markets, agricultural fairs etc and the beer and food stalls were often set up near the holly tree or yew tree to make them easy to find!

I hadn't heard of this use for holly trees, but it seems quite likely. It is certainly true that holly trees were grown for winter fodder in the area of the Holly Bush. An old dialect word for holly was "hollin", hence the name of Hollins Lane (also Hollinsend etc.) See for example http://www.bahs.org.uk/09n2a3.pdf

Dear Mr Hillsbro, I can assure you Martha and George were there. I have census records for my family there in1881 and 1891. By 1901 Martha was a widow and her son George was managing The Anvil Inn also in the valley. It could well be Martha in her old age had taken on laundry but I doubt it. I have emailed the current manager of The Anvil Inn the photo of my grandmother and grandfather with there name on the pub door of The Anvil Inn. He said he would place the photo on the pub wall although I don't know if he did. I have most of the census history for my grandparents on both sides of the family and I believe what they told me about their history because it matches the census records. The pub license would have been taken over when the Marsden's left at the turn of the century so I don't know why you haven't checked other census except the 1901. If you have the family information, dates, and names it really isn't hard to find the correct information. Anyway, if you are looking for confirmation of the Marsden's being there I can scan the census records and attach them to the Forum for you.

To: Hillsbro: The census record you refer to is not my Martha Marsden. Martha Marsden would have been 71 in 1901. My great great grandmother was born Martha Muscroft in Masborough Rotherham. The census for 1871 will show her as the "Licensed victualler" at Hollins Inn and born in Rotherham. She is there again in 1881 with my grandfather aged 4. Don't have any idea who Martha W.T. Marsden is.

The last time I saw the pub they had added a conservatory. The area has been built over, no more farmer's fields outside, but a walk along Rivelin Valley Road to the post office over the bridge then a return walk with a visit to the Holly Bush Inn for refreshments is still my idea of a perfect Sunday afternoon (in summertime of course). .... Although we have been known to walk the Rivelin Valley Road in winter on a Sunday afternoon.

Dear Mr Hillsbro, I can assure you Martha and George were there. I have census records for my family there in 1881 and 1891. I don't know why you haven't checked other census except the 1901

Whoa! I'm not (definitely NOT) questioning what you wrote! I just stated that I had difficulty finding the people, but this is partly because Marsden is a fairly common name in the area. I had actually looked in the 1881 and 1891 census returns (I never said I hadn't) but, as I wrote, I simply found the Marsdens hard to trace - but I am only an amateur. As you rightly say, if you have the family information and dates it is much easier. I did find various Marthas but not one in the right place, but I didn't spend much time on the work.

if you are looking for confirmation of the Marsden's being there I can scan the census records and attach them to the Forum for you.

There's no need to give details of census records, as I believe you. I am more interested in the history of Woodland View (where I was born, on Low Road) than indulging in debate.

I think that the Holly Bush and the Anvil have done well to survive in a changing social and economic environment, both of them being quite old, even by English standards. Several generations of my family were regulars in both hostelries, and my great-aunt Ethel was a part-time barmaid at the Anvil in the 1920s. I also have happy childhood memories of refreshments at the Holly Bush on Sunday afternoons. My brother, sister and I would enjoy our lemonades sitting on the wall outside with mum and dad after helping in the family allotment (No 72, just above the playground) to where we'd have taken a picnic lunch. The name of the Anvil of course relates to the nearby Mousehole Forge which made anvils. The famous blacksmith's anvil at Gretna Green is supposed to have been made at Mousehole Forge, but it might be difficult to prove. The present owner of Mousehole Forge has done a wonderful restoration job.

It's nice to know they are spending time and money on the village there. It should prove worth it just for the tourism. I know we always visit there when we visit Sheffield. The Anvil Forge is also in my family history. My great great grandfather was the anvil maker there in the 1851 Census although he did not originate from there. (Another emigrant from the Rotherham area.) He was still there in the 1871 census although by this time he had become a "licensed victualler" and his sons became the anvil makers. The Woodland View village must have been a very popular area for visitors to the valley. My near ancestral family grew up in this village and then moved on to Owlerton, Hillsborough and Wadsley Bridge. It's nice to reminisce and to discover new places in our personal family histories where we can visit. I was told by my aunts that we were related to the Marsdens who ran the Pork Butchers Shop at Hillsborough and my research into the Census has yet to uncover this branch of this tree.

As Martha was born c. 1830, just now I found a death record of a Martha Marsden who died in the Sheffield area in 1892, aged 62 - I'm not sure if this is the right Martha as she apparently may have survived later than this.

I remember the old Mousehole Forge as "the woodyard". They made hardwood frames for furniture in the old mill building. In the 1950s my brother and I used to go and buy for a shilling a sack of off-cuts which we would bring home on a wheelbarrow - a cheaper alternative to coal. The old building and adjacent house were purchased, and beautifully restored, in the 1980s by a retired pharmacist who I think still lives there. He used to organise "open days" but he sadly suffered a stroke a few years ago and so these have ceased. But of all the former mill buildings in Rivelin, these are the only ones that still exist, apart from a few foundations that can still be seen.

I was told by my aunts that we were related to the Marsdens who ran the Pork Butchers Shop at Hillsborough and my research into the Census has yet to uncover this branch of this tree.

In three years' time the 1911 census will become available, and needless to say, family history enthusiasts are looking forward to being able to use it for research. Maybe this will shed some light on the licensee of the Holly Bush, as well as the Marsden's pork butchers' family. The firm has been mentioned on the Sheffield History forum in regard to the old mill building at Malin Bridge.