The HollyBush pub, Rivelin

Hi, My great, great, great grandparents were George and Martha Marsden back through the Guite, Wild amd Somerfield families so I don't know any Marsdens, either.

I live on the south coast, so next time I visit Sheffield I'll have to visit the pub.

Jen

Hi Jen, just noticed your post. we share the same gt gt grandparents who ran the Holly Bush. My Great grandmother would have been your great great aunt. I have some photos of my grandfather George Marsden Turner and of the Holly Bush and more .... You may be interested in. Do you have any pics of your ancestors in Sheffield. Joan (now back in Sheffield)

the holly bush was my local in the early 60's, great little pub but had visited there many times before that and can remember going there as a littl'un with my parents. does anybody remember the roses being grown in the field opposite, im talking early 60's and i think it was a polish guy running it, wether he owned the field or rented it i dont know

Bit late but, the Polish guy was John Materna.

• 6 years later...

Hi All just to put things straight The Holly Bush was Run and owned by my Great Grandmother her maiden name was Rose  Anna Marsden she was married to Alfred Williamson they had 14 children. the licence for the hotel was under my grandmothers name which was very rare in those days to have a woman licensee. My grandmother Mabel Williamson was born in the hotel in 1905. she married Ernest Harper (the Olympic Marathon Runner). Rose anna was born 23.2.1877 her husband was born 4/6/1870.

we went to the Holly Bush for some underage drinking as we nervously approached the bar who popped up from behind it only the greatest teacher that ever lived Mr Trevor Snell (games teacher at Myers Grove)

"good evening gentlemen what will it be four pints of bitter" followed with a wink and that set the standard so every time i hear the Holly Bush i think of my best pint served by a true gent and i will raise a glass to him tonight Trevor Snell R.I.P

2 hours ago, ACE WASTE said:

we went to the Holly Bush for some underage drinking as we nervously approached the bar who popped up from behind it only the greatest teacher that ever lived Mr Trevor Snell (games teacher at Myers Grove)

"good evening gentlemen what will it be four pints of bitter" followed with a wink and that set the standard so every time i hear the Holly Bush i think of my best pint served by a true gent and i will raise a glass to him tonight Trevor Snell R.I.P

Didn't he have the Sportsman pub at Redmires for a time as well?, after he finished teaching?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The Hollybush Pub Rivelin,

We have just come across a picture of my wife's grandmother who was Beatrice Williamson, one of the Williamson children and later became Beatrice Allen.

Her mother was Rose Hannah Williamson who died in 1954 aged 76 years.

Some of Beatty's siblings were " Fred,Violet ,Madge ".

We met Dorothy when she came to England in the mid 1980s

We have one of Earnest Harpers trophies on our mantleshelf, it is a set of ramshorns made into an inkstand. He sold this to Beatrice and her husband Wilf, apparently when he was a little short of funds . Beatrice gave this to us as a wedding present.