The Great Big UGC & Cinema Thread

HottyMcBuff

What noise and disruption do students make that is not made by other people of the same age group that do not attend university?

'damn those students in the third row critically analysing the blackly comic, romantic sub plot and comparing it to fellini's 8 1/2. Why can't they just shut up?'

Originally posted by Leebo84

Why is it funny that UGC employ students??? I personally am a student and I see myself as one of the most dedicated and diligent people there. I seem to recall debating this point with you before Robbie: being a student doesn't immediately make us a bunch of skyvers and morons, there are some of us that are and some that aren't!!! FYI, the people that are the slackest on my department (naming no names) tend to be the veteran workers at UGC, and Sheffield natives!!!

a previous poster was trying to say that UGC staff are good becasue they are students. I was trying to say that just because someone is a student it doesn't mean that they are helpful, intellegent or hard working.

Originally posted by Sal22

What noise and disruption do students make that is not made by other people of the same age group that do not attend university?

'damn those students in the third row critically analysing the blackly comic, romantic sub plot and comparing it to fellini's 8 1/2. Why can't they just shut up?'

I often nip off work early and go in the afternoon. There are often students in there and they enjoy taking in the film. Especially female students.

I suspect ignorance is the reason but I'm simply saying what I have experienced.

Originally posted by Sal22

Post of the week that one :lol: Classic.

You kow what, I really can't be bothered with this anymore because people are going round in circles.

I never said the fact that UGC employs a lot of students is a purely positive point, but it has many many advantages from several different viewpoints. Also having part timers isn't always negative, as spending less time there makes some people appreciate and feel more positive about their job whilst they are there.

I think the e-mail to customer services was hilarious! Hopefully they will read what you have said about them (as employees), laugh, and not even dignify it with a response.

Originally posted by Snook

Is UGC some kind of cult or something? I thought all the people who work there would hate their job (given the looks on their faces) but it seems they love the company and hate the customers... this is a very strange training process that they have.

The thing about FILM (I bet UGC enourage you to write it in capitals, don't they?) being first just makes me laugh. I know one of the people who works there has got a film degree... that person at least must admit that UGC couldn't give a rats ass about FILM, but rather about profit... And as said, the customers experience comes second.

On the other point, if most of your customers are 'whinging morons' then I would suggest that you are not doing a very good job. Of course they come back, there isn't much choice for watching films is there (although a great deal stay away completely, or go to one of the other cinemas) but that doesn't mean you offer a good service.

Good service and an enjoyable experience would mean less whinging customers (present company included) but it would also mean less profit for the shareholders... so it won't happen. It'd also mean they'd have to pay you better wages, so that they wouldn't have to use students who need beer money, or people with other jobs, as you pointed out.

would it really hurt you to admit that some people may actually enjoy their jobs and actually care about the thing they company work for are selling, in this case FILM. I put that in capitals because that is what I have been told on my week long managemant course to do. ;)

I have clearly stated that UGC is a BUSINESS, and like all business's they want to make money/stay in business/be successful.

What is difficult to understand here?

I know I work for a faceless company, although I have met the new owner from Cineworld and he is a very nice man who has built Cineworld up from nothing, I still want to enjoy my job. If anyone at UGC didn't like their job they would leave.

No-one is forcing them to stay, but something is making them stay. It's called pride (you may call it something else and probably will) but thats fine it's your opinion after all.

I respect your opinion, but ask that you actually read some of the posts either from our staff or from other users of the cinema again as I have done and see if you still feel the same.

i'll have a go but i'm not sure if i am right or not....

as with any form of credit card payment, the card company charges a fee, sometimes a set amount or a percentage of the sale.

i don't know UGC's stance on the ATMs but I'm thinking that the card booking fee will either be the fee that the card company charges UGC for each card transaction, or a fee to cover the cost of running the ATMs and IT/banking to support them.

But I don't know... just throwing a few ideas into the ring. I'm sure Beaker or Cinemanager could clear it up later....

The advance bookings section is a seperate company, who have their own costs and staff to pay. Thus they need a charge on the booking for themselves.

A stated earlier, the cost of a cinema ticket pays for the distributers (up to 75% of the ticket price) and the projection. It does not pay towards the staff cost of the cinema, the heating, the repairs, etc etc. Therefore the idea that pre-booked tickets would save us, as a company, money as we don't need the staff etc is incorrect.

So, the fee is the only way we can pay the additional company to process the tickets.

Hope that made sense (it was a late night last night and I'm still kinda groggy!)

Archived