The Great Big UGC & Cinema Thread

HottyMcBuff

are you still operating the manic "films finish at the same time" policy? That seems like complete madness to me.

And maybe a few "rovers" who spend their time going in and out of different cinemas (you'd probably need 2 or 3) would help.

I know a lot of people who will not go to UGC or The Odeon because of the risk of the film being ruined.

It's a shame.

Originally posted by robbie

And maybe a few "rovers" who spend their time going in and out of different cinemas (you'd probably need 2 or 3) would help.

Very good idea, and if they spot any trouble, they can always radio in for help / security.

An even better idea would be to set up some kind of surveillance system, where you have hidden cameras in each cinema sending video back to a central location, where one person keeps a look out for problems ...

Originally posted by robbie

I know a lot of people who will not go to UGC or The Odeon because of the risk of the film being ruined.

I'm in this catagory too ... and I know of more and more people who avoid UGC because of this issue (which is a shame ... because the cinema itself is perfectly fine).

Originally posted by Sal22

Credit where its due,...

Myself and Hotty went to see Million Dollar Baby last night and it was a great visit to the cinema. Short queue for ticket. No limb amputation on door. Got good seats. Rest of audience seemed to be as involved in the film as I was. It was great. Even the adverts before the film were not shown (straight to trailers). Thought that only happened on previews.

And it was a great film. Twice as good as aviator.

But the escalator was broken!!!! ;)

Hotty should use his own log in and not mine!

Originally posted by Sal22

Credit where its due,...

Myself and Hotty went to see Million Dollar Baby last night and it was a great visit to the cinema. Short queue for ticket. No limb amputation on door. Got good seats. Rest of audience seemed to be as involved in the film as I was. It was great. Even the adverts before the film were not shown (straight to trailers). Thought that only happened on previews.

And it was a great film. Twice as good as aviator.

But the escalator was broken!!!! ;)

Thats great to hear. I was on last night....really quiet for a Sunday (I think the snow predictions put people off).

Sorry about the escalator...some show off decided to leap off the moving escalator on Saturday night, landing on the moving panels. The jolt froze the system and cut it out. Couldn't get it restarted and had to wait for maintenance to come out on Monday to fix it.

The escalator has recovered and is fine now people :D

Robbie: what do yo mean: "films finish at the same time" policy?? It's very rare that lots of films end at the same time.

And the 'rover', the floor team do screenchecks every 30-60 mins which are recorded (for audit purposes) in which we check fire exit signs, aisle lighting, picture, sound and look for any trouble in the audience. The trouble is when people see staff entering they shut up.

CCTV in the screens would no doubt violate SOME kind of regulation about recording equipment in the auditoria, even if it is for security purposes :rolleyes:

Plus it owuld be costly to install and man.

You keep talking about the 'risk' of a film been disrupted? Depending what time you go and what film to see, the 'risk' can be nearly zero. Besides: "Risk is part of the game if you want to sit in that chair." Theres a lower risk of me DYING if I take the tram to work, yet I still choose to drive. I think you are being too over cautious. Plus if anything does happen you can complain and try to wangle a refund!

;)

Originally posted by AndyC123

CCTV in the screens would no doubt violate SOME kind of regulation about recording equipment in the auditoria, even if it is for security purposes :rolleyes:

Plus it owuld be costly to install and man.

Surely not if its facing the room? IE. ontop of the screen

Wel thats what we've said before, but I guess it just boils down to cost and inconvenience of fitting them. You would probably have to come from the roof down to fit one in 7, or have a 50000 ft ladder. Plus, personally I dont think night vision cameras are that good, unless you buy really good (expensive ones) and they would have to have a high magnification for the larger screens, even then its quite difficult to see whether people are just eating or talking.

Signs are going up on the entrances to the screens explaining we operate a zero tolerance towards trouble causers and that offenders will be ejected (words to that effect), and theres talk about putting a similar slide into the pre-feature slide things to deter potentials. :clap:

Wel thats what we've said before, but I guess it just boils down to cost and inconvenience of fitting them. You would probably have to come from the roof down to fit one in 7, or have a 50000 ft ladder. Plus, personally I dont think night vision cameras are that good, unless you buy really good (expensive ones) and they would have to have a high magnification for the larger screens, even then its quite difficult to see whether people are just eating or talking.

Nightvision scares me! All those glowing green eyes!!! Very disturbing!

Originally posted by Hello_Nikki

...yes, the price of the food is VERY expensive compared to the prices in supermarkets, but the profit from the food pays for pretty much EVERYTHING in the cinema - basically, if it wasn't for the food, there wouldn't be a cinema industry....

So tell me, how does Easy Cinema make any money then and not go out of business? Their tickets are cheaper and you are encouraged to bring your own food! The only real money they can be making is from the £3.50 ticket price.

Sorry for taking a proverbial wiz on your fire!

Hmm which one of the feisty women working at the UGC is Hello_Nikki.

Signs are going up on the entrances to the screens explaining we operate a zero tolerance towards trouble causers and that offenders will be ejected (words to that effect), and theres talk about putting a similar slide into the pre-feature slide things to deter potentials. :clap:

I've got a couple of questions for UGC employees... you're currently undergoing corporate rebranding (if I'd heard it on the grapevine correctly) - are you planning to change the pre-feature graphics (eg. Sit, back, relax....) to reflect this anytime soon?

Additionally, both my girlfriend and I have UGC Unlimited cards. To pre-book we have to ring a 25p a minute booking line and can only book one ticket per phone call. Though having to pay 75p per booking is annoying I am now aware this facility is outsourced and can understand your reason for having to charge. What I fail to understand is UGC's logic. How do I book two tickets at once? Assuming I go to the cinema with my girlfriend we usually want to sit together. Tell me how I do that without having to make a trip all the way to UGC earlier in the day? Furthermore, why can I only do this at the Box Office on the day of the performance? Your policies are a bit unreasonable.

Archived