The Great Big UGC & Cinema Thread

HottyMcBuff

Originally posted by serapis

Andy,

The Easy Cinema in Milton Keynes used to be an ODEON (i think) and was only sold off because the Xscape centre was built almost on its doorsteps with a brand new UGC inside. Admittedly it wasn't a great place to go see a film and the screens are on the small side, but that wasn't my point. I was saying that if UGC only makes any operating profits from selling massively over priced food, how come Easy cinema, who sells tickets at almost half the price of UGC and encourages you to bring you own food is able to operate.

My point being, the roomers that UGC only makes profit from selling over prices popcorn and cola bottles is put about so that we the public don’t get narked for paying their inflated prices. It’s all to do with PR.

Oh and all the films on at the Sheffield UGC are on at the easy cinema too, so yes major film distributors are allowing their films to be shown there!

What you don't realise is that EasyCinema have a big hole in the wall where the screen should be. Once you're sat down you can see straight through that hole and watch all the films being shown in the UGC next door... :P

Originally posted by Briano

What you don't realise is that EasyCinema have a big hole in the wall where the screen should be. Once you're sat down you can see straight through that hole and watch all the films being shown in the UGC next door... :P

LOL ... made me chuckle!

Im only being devils advicate here though, I much prefered the UGC to the Point (easy cinema)

Originally posted by Briano

It is a bit of a shocking cinema logistically, but you can see what they are trying to do. One thing that really suprised me was the range of films they show. If you take a look on their website, their currently showing all the usual suspects that are at UGC/other multiplex, but also Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus - Directors Cut, Seven Samurai, Annie Hall and a couple of other 'classics'. Don't know how things like rights to show certain films work or the financial viability of such a project, but would be pretty cool to see a cinema with loadsa screens like UGC do something similar to EasyCinema or Prince Charles Cinema and show films that have moved on from a theatrical run to DVD but look great on big screen or classics (like sing-a-long-a-sound-of-music!!!!). I saw Ghostbusters at Prince Charles a while back and it was sooooo cool.

Originally posted by JonJParr

With the takeover of UGC by Cineworld taking place will the Unlimited scheme be phased out?

There are no plans to do so, and we've just invested (company wide) in new cameras for the creation of the cards, which looks promising for the future.

Originally posted by Beakerzoid

I can honestly say there was never any plan in place for it to happen....it just did.

erm yes you did (as I know 5 members of staff who worked there at the time including management)

but hey it isn't important

Originally posted by Bedhead

i like it there

you're lucky to have such a big facility - in Torquay (when i used to live there) there's only one crappy old cinema with two screens

so quit the moaning

I think I went there a few years ago, I lovely cinema with a great atmospere, A lovely old lady selling the tickets and it looked more like a stage theatre than a cinema... it was Jurrassic park 2 i think we went to see and the film was rubbish but I remember just looking at how beautiful this cinema was.

I do actually enjoy going to UGC, although I was a bit shocked at how they treated a friend of mine who worked there, then again I only got his side of the story, he worked on the food section and one day got suspended with full pay cos they said he was stealing from the till, something that to this day he claims he never did, they took him in without any chance for him to make his case then fired him...

I adore the bar upstairs, its just lovely for a hot chocolate and curley fries before a film, me and my boyfriend are probably gonna go this weekend, and I know some people say its not a great experience but I think it is, sometimes I do just go in there to go to the bar get a snack a drink and sit with some friends and chat if theres nothing really on to watch.

Susie

xx

Actually, the best cinema I've been to was when we were on holiday in Wales a couple of years ago we went to the one in Tywyn. It's an old Welsh chapel converted into a cinema, one screen only, each film is only shown a couple of times so it feels like half the town has come out especially, people at the end of the aisles selling ice-cream in the intermission, a real atmosphere (noisy teenagers & all). It took me back to Saturday picture club at the Twickenham Odeon when I was a kid.

Originally posted by robbie

erm yes you did (as I know 5 members of staff who worked there at the time including management)

but hey it isn't important

I now seem to have worked out what you are on about. It wasn't a plan to have everything come out at once, but a plan to have the later shows start earlier on a Friday & Saturday night. It was an experiment...it failed. I assure you that it was not intentional for all the films to come out at the same time, it just fell that way with the limited space they had to program in.

Thankfully we are back to the weekend late shows being just that...late....so doesn't cause the problems anymore.

Just a question (to any watching moderators)....as this has become the general cinema Q&A section, can we have the title of the thread changed or branch off the last few pages, as the initial topic seems to have run its course? Just a thought.

Archived