The Great Big UGC & Cinema Thread

HottyMcBuff

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed looking at the UGC Cinemas website that the company is starting to begin the conversion process to Cineworld. I was just wondering if UGC employees could enlighten us as to what policy changes (if any) we will see as a result of UGC being bought by the Cineworld group.

1. Will there be a switch from P&D to Carlton?

2. Will the Unlimited subscription card be phased out?

3. Will there be a reduction in the amount of foreign and, in particular, French films that we see on the screens?

4. Will there be any prices increases / decreases (aside from the £1 increase on Unlimited).

Grateful if you could try to answer my questions. Also another quick question which I know you probably get asked everyday without fail but "What is your action plan for cracking down groups of youths causing disruption either through the throwing of sweets or talking". The reason I ask is that the past 5/6 times that my partner and I have been to the cinema we have encountered this nearly everytime. It's just becoming unenjoyable to visit the cinema. If we're starting to notice this surge in disruptive behaviour then I'm certain others are and people may just decide to walk with their feet. I think Cineworld need to address and take this issue seriously.

Lastly and a minor detail; my partner had some popcorn last week and remarked at how it tasted different and that the experience was akin to "eating cardboard". Is this some cost-saving venture? If so, perhaps UGC\Cineworld should consider that their new (and similarly priced product) is not as high quality! Again, customers may just stop purchasing it.

Grateful if you could respond to my question / queries. :)

The issue with the popcorn has been noticed by many people. Our main suppliers (Monkhill) burnt down recently, and the alternative is nasty and tasteless (the image of a popcorn factory on fire still makes me want to laugh)

CineUK wil be holding onto Unlimited and i think they are rolling it out across Cineworld sites also, however it will have to change names as 'Unlimited' is owned and mainly operated by the french and will still be used in french UGC sites.

You may have noticed the 'Asian Cinema Season' films we have started showing recently. These films are part of CineUK's film strategy and are gradually building a solid customer base. Personally i think the fact we seem to be showing less indie films is disappointing.

The recent price increase at Box Office and now Concessions brings us more in line with Cineworld prices, however Cineworld are still more expensive than existing UGC sites.

We will also be fully rebranding some time in August (cant remember the day), but Beakerzoid will have much more info to share with you all.... :P

Originally posted by JonJParr

I've noticed looking at the UGC Cinemas website that the company is starting to begin the conversion process to Cineworld. I was just wondering if UGC employees could enlighten us as to what policy changes (if any) we will see as a result of UGC being bought by the Cineworld group.

1. Will there be a switch from P&D to Carlton?

2. Will the Unlimited subscription card be phased out?

3. Will there be a reduction in the amount of foreign and, in particular, French films that we see on the screens?

4. Will there be any prices increases / decreases (aside from the £1 increase on Unlimited).

What is your action plan for cracking down groups of youths causing disruption either through the throwing of sweets or talking.

Lastly and a minor detail; my partner had some popcorn last week and remarked at how it tasted different and that the experience was akin to "eating cardboard". Is this some cost-saving venture?

1: Yes. We will be moving to Carlton (I will missi the P&D theme)

2: No. It will be renamed sometime and rolled out across the Cine chain.

3: We hope not. We are proud that we get a lot of the more diverse range of films and will still be chasing them up to balance out against the blockbusters. We have (as you may have noticed) begun with adding Bollywood films to the mix.

4: There was a recent increase on some items on snacks dept, but we are still remaining competative with other cinemas locally.

Re: Disruption. Pity you weren't at Fantastic Four on Thursday when I demonstrated what I think of disruptive groups. 5 mins into the film, a group of 9 teens kicked out for being disruptive. I got the usual death threats....whatever! Simply put, if we are aware of the problem we will sort it. Usually we issue one warning then kick out. However we cannot police all screens at all times (we try our best - with screen checks - but so many groups have twigged that when the door opens they keep quiet). If you encounter a problem, let a staff member know asap (even if there is a potentially disruptive group in the screen prior to it starting - this will allow us to see where they are and monitor them). We hate them as much as you all do...trust me on that.

The Popcorn: The suppliers (as mentioned above) had a slight problem 2 months back when one of their main factories burnt down (I'd have loved to have seen that...popcorn popping everywhere). We were forced to scout for temporary supply for the interim period until they can get up and running again. We are getting a mixed response at present with some customers preferring it, and others hating it. It is simply that it is a new popcorn, and will upset some people. We hope to go back to our older type soon.

Hope that all helped.

Oh...rebranding is 22nd August.

I guess it's a subjective thing, but the new 'popcorn' is, in my opinion, the most awful bland tasting popcorn I have ever had.

I'd recommend people not to buy it, until they get the old good stuff back.

Went to the (former)UGC cinema in Middlesbrough today which has now been branded Cineworld and things seem to be a complete mess.

It's obviously a fairly new thing, since it was UGC when I was last home a month ago, and already the "worl" has fallen off the sign on the front of the building leaving it 'Cine d'. Inside they've just removed the word 'ugc' from everything, leaving menu's, prices and signage untitled and tacky.

There are no longer any intro's to the films except adverts, no warnings about drinking, smoking and talking, no 'please make sure your mobile is turned off' and no more 'funny' orange adverts before the feature. The pearl & dean intro is thankfully still there.

It seems like they're done a half arsed job of rebranding the place, and to make it worse on the 12 screens they have, only 3 movies were available this morning, madagascar, war of the worlds, and dark water.

It's incredibly disappointing since I love(d) the UGC in Middlesbrough. I hope it's not a sign to come for the UGC in Sheffield since I'll be back in Shef just after the rebranding!

Oh, and incidentally along with the UGC in Sheffield the one in Middlesbrough is one of 209 cinemas across the UK which will recieve funding for a digital projector which will guarantee screen time to independent cinema. There's more information on the film council uk website the press release is at: http://www.ukfilmcouncil.org.uk/news/?p=D4A157780cd7d24E47LmQ4394634 the list is linked on that page.

Good news it seems ^_^

LOL at above post!

Was there not a Cineworld 'no talking etc' tag before the adverts. I know from my visits to Cine sites that they have it before everything (whereas we have it after the ads and trailers). Unfortunately, if it is the same one it is a really embarrassing and dated CGI female (Lara-esque) shushing people and karate kicking cigarettes etc. Dreadful!

Erm....anyway...sounds like they have had a pretty bad time of it there. Although it is highly possible that the rebranding only just took place yesterday, and the fact that the signage had "fallen off" was that it hadn't been fully mounted yet. This would also explain the lack of full range of films (need to tag all the prints with Cine logo, and remove the UGC tags - thus first few showings cancelled), and the lack of the 'don't talk' bits (may not have got around to inserting them). I will check tomorrow to see when they were scheduled for rebranding, but I think it was around now.

As for the digitals.....

WOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

Archived