The Great Big UGC & Cinema Thread

HottyMcBuff

So you were the one who got the Nestea! Hardly anyone redeemed their free bottle (we've got tons left). The reluctance of people to try something new, eh?

No doubt a new promotion will arrive sometime soon, but I think all ideas are on hold as we change into Cineworld.

Originally posted by rtapper

We used to get a discount at the Virgin screen shop and also on the food - I know because I religiously used it every time I went there when Mr Branson's mob owned the place.

Yeah we got UGC vouchers - used my Nestea voucher - wasnt bad - but it'd be cool if we got say 10% off food/drink all the time on production of our card at the till :thumbsup:

Totally correct, cant remember if it was 10% back in the Virgin days! And you're right we should get the same now! :D

Originally posted by Beakerzoid

So you were the one who got the Nestea! Hardly anyone redeemed their free bottle (we've got tons left).

Hmmm, what's the chance of getting another free bottle then ? It was quite nice and free is my favourite word :)

The best thing about UGC cinema is that you dont have to take cash with you, get food, drive there, use card to get in.

Worst is this:

If you have had bad projection, sound, toilets, kids (or adults) messing about or being noisy, you can complain. But what do you get :suspect: you get free cinema tickets to get in to UGC when you want (as long as free list isnt suspended).

:help: Why would you need free tickets when you have an Unlimited card? Do they offer to give you 1 months free subscription... NOPE... do they offer you a free food voucher for the cost of a cinema ticket... NOPE...

But if you dont complain, they do nothing about it.

The free tickets do help when you have a friend or family go with you who don't have the Unlimited card.

And last of all... Why would anyone buy a LARGE coke (1.5lts tops) in a soft container with a flimsy lid for £3.00 when for £1.50 you can buy 2x 1.5lts (Buy one get one free) in safe bottles (Has a screw lid to stop it spilling during those jumpy bits in Descent or the hilarious bits in Wedding Crashers) or bags of sweets for £2.00 instead of £1.50 at GT News.

Did someone mention skin flint or consciencious?

Originally posted by slay

If you have had bad projection, sound, toilets, kids (or adults) messing about or being noisy, you can complain. But what do you get :suspect: you get free cinema tickets to get in to UGC when you want (as long as free list isnt suspended).

And last of all... Why would anyone buy a LARGE coke (1.5lts tops) in a soft container with a flimsy lid for £3.00 when for £1.50 you can buy 2x 1.5lts (Buy one get one free) in safe bottles (Has a screw lid to stop it spilling during those jumpy bits in Descent or the hilarious bits in Wedding Crashers) or bags of sweets for £2.00 instead of £1.50 at GT News.

UGC have never enforced a 'free list suspended' policy and have accepted the Freeview for any performances. This may change when Cineworld take over....we don't know.

If you dont want to pay the prices for the concessions...dont! Feel free to buy food elsewhere. However, you may not be allowed to take it into the screens with you....your choice whether to take the chance. At the end of the day cinemas make next to no money from the tickets. Most of the ticket price goes to the distributers, and the rest barely covers the cost of running the projectors. The concessions cost therefore needs to be high to pay the rest of the running costs. Yes, there is a profit at the end...what company isn't in the business to make money? I'm sure even The Showroom don't show films just for the sake of it, and they would close if not making profits.

So, yeah, the food is cheaper at GT News. Heck, go to Tesco...it is even cheaper. At the end of the day the price of sweets etc at cinemas has always been expensive...it isn't a new thing.

Oh sorry...I just realised this was a joke posting! After all, you said there were funny bits in Wedding Crashers ;)

got to agree with beazerzoid re:concessions.

surely a treat whilst on a trip or outing add's to the experience.

i bet some of you don't buy drinks @ concerts 'cos of the price, or ice creams whilst at tourist attractions 'cos they're more expensive than Mr Whippy at home.

for goodness sake get a life.

what would u all say if the cinema decided it could get cheaper staff who would work for less than minimum wage & exploit the "black" market in staffing so u could have a packet of minstrels for £1.

By the way Blockbuster charge just as much as the cinemas do & u get to sit in your chair & use your own electricity.

Geesh, this is one hell of a thread to try and get into! Must admit I gave up after about page 10.

I like UGC for the friendly fun staff, salted popcorn and legroom. It's also good that they show some smaller films for those who want something different and to experience new things. I'm sure I'd never have really watched Japanese films had it not been for UGC. Oh and a big grotdog with crispy toenails when I'm on my break! Yes, I'm another UGC-ite! :P

Yes sometimes things aren't perfect but the staff work their asses off to try and make it nice. Just because some idiot has decided to smear cheese sauce all over the floor or miss the toilet when using it, or the hotdogs aren't cooked and the cheese has run out, consider this, we are not fitted with alarms to let us know when there's an issue.

Prices are quite high but geesh, make a night of going to the cinema! Have a beer, watch your film and eat whatever. Just enjoy it. :D

I've just been to UGC (screen 7, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - great film) and guess what? Yup, the projection was off again, 4th time in 4 visits (actually, it may have been more times than that, but only the last 4 that I've actually noticed).

At least the film was almost in focus this time, and it didn't really spoil my enjoyment of it, but I'm sure it was what troyhark called "out of rack" - there were gaps at the edges of the picture, the right-hand gap was sharp, but down the left it was blurry, and in between the commercials there were white and red bits flashing along the right-hand edge.

Originally posted by DanSumption

I've just been to UGC (screen 7, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - great film) and guess what? Yup, the projection was off again, 4th time in 4 visits (actually, it may have been more times than that, but only the last 4 that I've actually noticed).

At least the film was almost in focus this time, and it didn't really spoil my enjoyment of it, but I'm sure it was what troyhark called "out of rack" - there were gaps at the edges of the picture, the right-hand gap was sharp, but down the left it was blurry, and in between the commercials there were white and red bits flashing along the right-hand edge.

I gather you informed someone and they fixed it..........................................................:rolleyes:

Archived