The Great Big UGC & Cinema Thread

HottyMcBuff

Originally posted by thetorch

ADVICE ABOUT ADVANCE SCREENINGS...

Cinemas do not have control of when they have advanced screenings. It is the film companies who decide this... best thing to do is check online http://www.ugccinemas.co.uk for advanced previews.

AND FOR THOSE WHO LOVE TO RANT ON ABOUT US....

UGC is by far the best cinema in Sheffield (not just pluggin it 'cos I work there), it's got HUGE screens, plenty of COMFY seating, PLENTY of leg room, a FANTASTIC bar area, a WIDE VARIETY of films (blockbusters and limited prints), and although our prices may be steep, they are worth it. You got to ODEON and then compaire your experience there with the experience you get with us. You'll see what I mean...

AND REMEMBER...

For those of you who experience difficulties with your visit, come see a staff member or a manager with any comments or quieries, we will be more than happy to help you out. we're there to make your visit as great as possible!!

FINAL WORDS...

UGC/cineWORLD is a great experience! Enjoy it!

never a truer word spoken!! hehe ye it is really good better than vue and odeon put together!!

right im gona stop posting on this now...

• 2 weeks later...

Have just returned from a bit o travelling and was taken aback to find this thread still thriving. Haven't looked back through the entire thread but it seems people are still split over such issues as projection.

When I started this thread I think I may have had a few issues that needed addressing as I don't understand why I was that upset about a cinema.... it is after all, just a cinema. Still surprised by some of the venom used by the staff in their posts but it made it interesting none the less.

Since returning, I have been to the cinema a few times to catch up on films I've missed. C and the C F at UGC was aces. No probs at all in terms of the cinema and projection etc and they used the original songs from the book!!!!! that was just so f*****g cool. Crash at Showroom was okay but man they need to sort out their A/C!

The 2 or 3 other films I've seen I saw at UGC and there were no probs at all. As I say, I think I may have been slightly over juiced when I started this thread.... sorry. Have been to a couple cinemas in past few months that were crazy bad. But also the best ever - Alamo Drafthouse in downtown Austin, Texas. Went there 2 or 3 times and saw some great movies. Kinda like the Prince Charles in Leics Square but 10 times better.

Me too - plenty of leg room, and the seats are tiered rather than just on a slope, which means each row is about a foot higher up than the one in front - brilliant if you're only short, as you don't have to worry so much about someone tall coming and sitting in front of you.

Originally posted by absynthfairy

But the QUES!!! oh my goodness... The last few times I have been we have ditched UGC, driven round to meadowhall and seen a film with no que, just as much leg room and been able to sneak a mcflurry in!!

I've never had to queue, and occasionally take food in. If there's a chance we might have to queue (for example when all 6 of us went to see Star Wars) we book tickets online, stick the credit card into the hole in the wall, and avoid the Queue!

If there's ever a Queue at UGC it's because it IS the best cinema in Sheffield. Odeon is awful and Vue at Meadowhall is small and can't get my bloody legs in!

• 2 weeks later...

As a self-confessed cinema addict (I saw 6 films over the bank holiday weekend), I thought I'd add my two penneth to this thread.

I probably go to the Odeon more often than UGC, but I'm a regular at both. Usually I'll choose the Odeon if a film is on at both, but I'll always choose UGC for a big blockbuster. I like the cosy atmosphere that the Odeon screens have. UGC does have more films, and on a few Sundays I've seen three consecutive films there. I'm always impressed by the speed the UGC manages to keep the ticket queue moving at.

As for the issue of annoying chavs, just do what I do - always sit on the very front row in the middle. When I go to the cinema I like to forget that there are actually other people there, so I can almost believe that it is my own private room with a huge video wall. Because of the convention that sitting on the front row is somehow "sad", there's usually not people within three rows of you. If chavs started talking, I don't hear them as I'm closer to the main speakers. :)

Archived